• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

putting a 04 tj radio into a 00 xj?

stoneyva21

NAXJA Forum User
so i have my old tj radio sitting around and the xj doesn't have a cd player. i hate the music on the radio these days so i was wondering if i could stick my tj head unit in there till i have the cash for a better one. anyone ever try this?

You can try it but I don't think the 04 plugs will match up. I moved some radios around on monday, moved the JVC unit out of the TJ and put it into the XJ, moved the Jensen out of the XJ and put it into the TJ. Had to change the Scoche mounting face plate. Give it a shot and see, I think that radio also has a rounded face if I'm not mistaken.
Over on Ebay there is a guy who sells factory radios, he has a guide on there about what will fit what between the same manufacturers, you look up say 00 sebring and the radio that pops up shows what it fits. I think he's down in Georgia or somewhere down south.

just give it a try it takes all of 5 mins for me to get my radio in and out its cakes and pies my friend!

Reach for the bottom of that center trim panel, and pull back. It's in with just a few clips- 2 bolts (10mm?) hold the headunit in place, disconnect the wires - 2 harnesses, the antenna lead, and the ground off the back, and you're done. Takes a couple of minutes. Surprising how easy it is on the 97+.

Apparently the swap doesnt work. I sold an 05 LJ stereo to Old Guy (Dan) and it didnt work in his XJ. They are either different sizes, or different connectors.

Unless you rewired it i think it doesnt work...

Potentially you could buy an install kit for each vehicle and wire those together and make it work i supposed. Seems reasonably easy.

I tried putting the stock unit from my 03' TJ into my 00' XJ and it doesn't fit. The newer radios are rounded, older more square, and it just doesn't fit right (bolt holes are way off).

Back