• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Explorer 8.8's

Bloose

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Hello all,

I'm wondering if anyone knows what the best year's are for the explorer rear ends. I thought the '97 and newer's had 31 spline and disc brakes, is that correct? Also, does anyone know the width from axle flange to axle flange?

TIA,
B-loose

I think its 96 or 95 and up. The earlier models were 31 splines but drum braked. 58 inches or so a Search may get a more exact #

1995 and newer had disc brakes. However, if you want 4.10 gears (without regearing) then you have to look for 1996 or newer.

-Brian

Bloose said:
Hello all,

I'm wondering if anyone knows what the best year's are for the explorer rear ends. I thought the '97 and newer's had 31 spline and disc brakes, is that correct? Also, does anyone know the width from axle flange to axle flange?

TIA,
B-loose

95 and newer had 31 spline & disk brakes. I believe in 2001 or 2002 and on the explorer's went with an indep rear susp and didn't offer the ford 8.8 solid axle you want for swapping. This is a great axle to use and you can find it very easily, plus the disc brakes are a nice mod in and of themselves. You can also find this axle under the Mercury Mountainer as well in the same years specified I believe. Look to M.O.R.E. for parts to make this swap even easier. They are at mountainoffroad.com I think.

steinjeep said:
95 and newer had 31 spline & disk brakes. I believe in 2001 or 2002 and on the explorer's went with an indep rear susp and didn't offer the ford 8.8 solid axle you want for swapping. This is a great axle to use and you can find it very easily, plus the disc brakes are a nice mod in and of themselves. You can also find this axle under the Mercury Mountainer as well in the same years specified I believe. Look to M.O.R.E. for parts to make this swap even easier. They are at mountainoffroad.com I think.

All Explorer 8.8's are 31 spline.

CRASH

Awesome, thanks for the info. I was on e-Bay and there is a guy selling a Explorer rear end that he bought to put in an old Mustang. He says that the Explorer rear ends are offset 4" to one side. Is this correct? I was looking to put the 8.8 into my old Ford. So this may be a problem.

Thanks,
B-loose

The centerline of the pinion is about 3 inches to the passenger side. There is also about a 3" difference in shaft length.

CRASH

Does anyone know of a step-by-step posting on the 'net somewhere that describes how to swap in a 8.8 for a D35 - for us dummies!?

Thanks!

This is the best XJ specific site I know off:

http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/2003/xj88/

Mine is done except for the brake lines. The junk yard cut the hoses when they removed the axle and the replacement hoses I bought at AutoZone are too short. The only company around here that makes brake hoses doesn't have banjo's like the Ford 8.8 use. I'm still scratching my head on this one...

If anyone has any ideas how to get replacement hoses that are a bit longer I'ld love to hear it.

-Brian

BrianJr said:
If anyone has any ideas how to get replacement hoses that are a bit longer I'ld love to hear it.

-Brian

There are a couple of options

First is Currie Enterprises, it is a P/N 6013. It comes with hoses, banjo bolts, and weld on clips to hold the end in place on the axle

Second, Is Inline Tube. They sell all kinds of brake line components and I am sure they could set you up

http://www.inlinetube.com/table_of_contents.htm

I am told that two Pass side OEM hoses will also work as they are the "longer ones"

Maybe I missed something but Inline Tube does not appear to have the correct banjos for Ford Explorer calipers. Also, other than Stu's article I can not find anyone listing a part number 6013 from Currie. I'll try calling a couple of places after work but does anyone know of somewhere than stocks this? Its about the last thing left to get my XJ rolling again.

Thanks,
-Brian

Deaver said:
There are a couple of options

First is Currie Enterprises, it is a P/N 6013. It comes with hoses, banjo bolts, and weld on clips to hold the end in place on the axle

Second, Is Inline Tube. They sell all kinds of brake line components and I am sure they could set you up

http://www.inlinetube.com/table_of_contents.htm

I am told that two Pass side OEM hoses will also work as they are the "longer ones"

Back