NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > Colorado Chapter > Colorado Trip Reports
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Colorado Trip Reports A place to post up details after an adventure.

Old April 19th, 2011, 12:37
NAXJA Forum User

Re: penrose 4-17

we will see! if the post is edited and price brought down due to flop. we will know its him... hahaha
Old April 19th, 2011, 12:41
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRONIK View Post
we will see! if the post is edited and price brought down due to flop. we will know its him... hahaha
hahaha thats awesome.... i wonder where he pull 22k from???
Old April 19th, 2011, 12:54
NAXJA Forum User

Pretty easy to spend a lot of money if you have it all done at a shop ,but like you say can't see even 22 ,its not that trick
Old April 19th, 2011, 13:34
NAXJA Forum User

That willys was built by spydertrax, its a custom frame and everything. Its an awesome rig. But not 22k awesome
Old April 19th, 2011, 13:40
NAXJA Member #1096

my thoughts exactly.
Old April 19th, 2011, 19:48
NAXJA Forum User

ya that was proracedriver's friend.
its been his rig for a while, he specifically stated driving it to washington and back no problem. those are spider 9's with the arb's that are computer activated, hence the sensor on the top of the housing....it detects slip on one side, and activates the compressor to engage the arb ( from what he said and i understood) it was a very tippy rig, but that was due to the SUPER short coils front and rear. they looked like stock tj rears on all 4 corners. redone coils with longer shocks or coilovers and that rig would be amazing. everything on that rig is a custom piece. its basically a tube buggy with a willys front clip. easily could run 40's on those axles. look at buggies with cheaper axles and they still want 17k+. so his pricing is very fair in my eyes.

buggy thats platable and easily able to run 40's.....gold
Old April 19th, 2011, 19:56
NAXJA Member #1096

Sorry Mike, but if you can put $2200 in a rig (and I'm barely exaggerating) and run circles around this guy on Patriot, two things are happening -- (1) his $22k rig is only gold if its plated in it, and (2) he has some serious operator error going on. Only reason to spend that kind of smack on a rig is if you can't/won't build it yourself.
Old April 19th, 2011, 20:02
NAXJA Forum User

i wouldnt say i walked circles around anything hahaha....

but i do know what youre saying. i think he was new to the wheeling thing. and it was for sure his first time down there and on a trail like that. so some issues are to be expcted for sure....

i just think in the right hands with a few tweaks to the suspension it would hang in there with rigs like that of wally and steve on co4x4

biggest problem was the 9's were narrowed
Old April 19th, 2011, 20:07
NAXJA Member #1096

That's the thing, if you're dropping $22k on a rig, it should be a point, apply gas, move over obstacle rig -- definitely not "tippy" because the coils are too short. The guys that would drop that kind of coin on a rig, rather than build it themselves for less are likely not to have the best set of off-road skills... you're kindof the exception, Mike. You had few skills, and an under equipped rig, and just kept breaking them until you (1) figured out how to do it without stepping on the skinny pedal and (2) figured out what actually adds value to a rig, as opposed to just 4xbling.

not sure why I'm ragging on a rig I actually like, but who the f#$& runs spider 9's with 35" tires? In a willy's that probably tips the scales at 2500lbs?? D44's with good joints would hold just fine under that setup, with regular old lockers, not "sensing" ARBs, and save several thousand dollars in the process.... /rant.

I want a willy's.
Old April 19th, 2011, 20:10
NAXJA Forum User

Took a look under the rig today and its beat to shit. One of the legs on the pass. Side slider is folded. Axles are shiny on the bottom and my breaks are acting funky and making noises on the 44. Broke a tail light. The most odd thing is at highway speeds it gets hotter then I like. May have some fixing to fo on the rig the next few weeks.
Old April 19th, 2011, 20:11
NAXJA Forum User

hahahah i guess im just defending it cuz i REALLY want it. lol... it was sooooo coooool

i completely agree with you on point and shoot ability per $ ratio....

but in comparison to other "buggies" and the parts and prices, he isnt too far off base i dont think.... but ive never bought a buggy

did i mention i was green with envy ot=ver that thing all day...
Old April 19th, 2011, 20:14
NAXJA Member #1096

I'm willing to bet YOU will never buy a buggy. Build, sure, but not buy.

My next build will be a Willy's wagon on 37's... I might be 50 before that happens, however.
Old April 19th, 2011, 20:15
NAXJA Forum User

troof
Old April 20th, 2011, 18:23
NAXJA Forum User

ha ha this is hilarious. First of all let me say that im not trying to "defend" colby, more justify....i would never pay 22 grand for something that is almost a trail only rig (even though hes driven it halfway across the country). Hes moving back to washington soon and doesnt wanna bring it with him. The willy's was mostly built and the PO lost funds to complete it so colby bought it and finished it and has continued to work on it/upgrade it since hes owned it. Spidertrax custom built the whole frame/cage which are all tied together and into the bumpers and sliders, 4 link rear, 3 link front, spidertrax samurai axle housings with ARB's, bfg crawlers, trailready beadlocks, chevy 4.3 vortec, yata yata. Like mike said its pretty much a buggy with a willy's tub. As far as his driving, he has been wheeling a long time and has owned that truck for over a year, closer to 2 i think. All of his wheeling before moving here has been in washington state and nothing like colorado, so patriot was definately the hardest trail he has done in the willy's but he definately wasnt scared ha ha and that definately wasnt where all of the trail damage came from, the tub was plenty beat up before this weekend, the little flop only damaged the rear quarter a little. the flop was silly, but i saw a lot of things happen last weekend that were much dumber situations. All and all a good time though, he really wants to wheel penrose again, and i cant wait to bring my jeep next time too.

seth
Old April 20th, 2011, 18:25
NAXJA Forum User

let me know when he wants to go again. you guys were fun and i wanna drool over that summore