NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Other Technical Forums > Advanced Fabrication and Engineering
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Advanced Fabrication and Engineering For when your build is going off the charts. Wildly modified vehicles and straight up buggies welcome.

Old January 17th, 2007, 08:43
NAXJA Supporting Vendor

Can / should OE door hinge tabs be used for tie in to firewall

Well now just trying get a sturdy yet simple design for the cage work and with the doors gone the firewall side of the hinges are left and without thought was going to use them for tieing in the A pillar and front exo portion to the front bumper. Then while stareing in a blank at them I thought umm are they even all that strong? Out at the last unoffical JV event I did see a few that tied to them, but how strong are they really?

Anyone that has used the them for cage tie in, and had significant weight on that area of the tube/cage, can you chime in and let me know if theres any deformation of the hinge mounting area.

Thanks

PS also any and all pictures of this area if you did use them would be Awesome!
All your drivetrain And Jeep needs at a Discount! Call us for all your drivetrain & Jeep accessorry needs. If it is for a Jeep we can get it for less and with superior service. Yukon, USA Standard, Motive, Ten factory, Detroit, ARB, Teraflex, Rock Krawler & A LOT MORE..
All items ship FAST! ~ http://www.rwkhaussupply.com ~ Robert@RWKHausSupply.com Free shipping on Rock Krawler kits. Dana 30 no question asked 1yr warranty axle kits FOR LESS!
Old January 17th, 2007, 16:59
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Can / should OE door hinge tabs be used for tie in to firewall

I have found that about 1 in 15 4dr XJs I get in the shop(used car sales that likes xj/mj/zjs) has a tore off upper hinge, most are 91-95. With that said I'm going to use them as tie-ins for my MJ-truggy thing just as you are wanting. I would say look at the welds, if they are cracked, pull them off, weld thicker plate back in(how I fix them) and weld the tabs back on or better yet if no doors are being ran run a better looking tab to tie in your down bars.

andy
Old January 18th, 2007, 11:13
NAXJA Supporting Vendor

yeah well they dont look all that strong. I looked at it last night and thinking that I sould do some 2x2.5" angle along the weather stripping seam area over around to the hinges and weld all that together and give myself a much more stout attachment to the firewall.
All your drivetrain And Jeep needs at a Discount! Call us for all your drivetrain & Jeep accessorry needs. If it is for a Jeep we can get it for less and with superior service. Yukon, USA Standard, Motive, Ten factory, Detroit, ARB, Teraflex, Rock Krawler & A LOT MORE..
All items ship FAST! ~ http://www.rwkhaussupply.com ~ Robert@RWKHausSupply.com Free shipping on Rock Krawler kits. Dana 30 no question asked 1yr warranty axle kits FOR LESS!
Old January 18th, 2007, 12:05
NAXJA Forum User

i used the b pillar mounts to tie in to my exo. the roll over was to the nose then driver side then to the roof. the hinge area was in good shape.
Old January 18th, 2007, 13:40
NAXJA Forum User

every time i go to pick and pull one of the five or so xjs they have has the upper hinge torn off. doesent seem that strong to me, but it may be the strongest section in that area. hope this helps
Old January 19th, 2007, 08:19
NAXJA Supporting Vendor

well not to convinced that the door hinges would hold as well as I would like, I did some work to help I hope. I did whack the stock hinge with a 3lbs hammer and it did move and the gap opened up slightly at the rear of the hinge then back the other way.

So I fully welded them to the metal under them, then turned down the heat and weled every seam around them as well as then added a 16" piece of 1.5x1.5 angle. I welded the angle to the hinges and the firewall. Once done I I didnt just whack, but pounded it Hard with the 3lb hammer again and it didnt budge.

Now I also have a nice cradle to put the 1.75" tube in to and get alot more weld area to the firewall.

Heres a before the angle and after.