NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old July 1st, 2005, 17:28
NAXJA Forum User

Transmission & Transfer Case Towing Questions

I have a 1990 XJ with a A4W transmission and a Selec-Trac Full Time 4WD transfer case. I was preparing to tow the XJ for the first time and when I tried to put the transfer case in neutral the indicator lights never indicated “Neutral”. One of the lights always indicated I was in 4X4. I was pretty sure I was in neutral because I could put the transmission in drive or reverse and the vehicle wouldn’t move. Is there a transfer case “Neutral” indicator light or any other way to insure the transfer case is in neutral?

When I was pretty sure the transfer case was in neutral I placed the transmission in Park and when I did so I heard a sound almost like the transmission was trying to go into gear or the Park pin was trying to engage. The only time I heard this sound was when putting the transmission in Park. The XJ followed the tow vehicle with no problem, but I am worried about the noise. Any ideas what it could be or how to stop it?
Old July 1st, 2005, 18:16
NAXJA Forum User

Wink Re: Transmission & Transfer Case Towing Questions

I tow my 99 behind my motorhome a lot. you are right about "Natural" for the transfer case. Try turning the engine off before putting the main transmission in "park"... always be sure to unlock the steering by setting the key between lock and "on".
Old July 1st, 2005, 18:24
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Transmission & Transfer Case Towing Questions

Man you got me thinking I had the exact same set up with the tranny/t-case but I have since swapped to a 231. I never remember a light for neutral for the t-case(242). But Don is right if it is running when your trying to get it in neutral and park for towing it will make all kinds of noise.