NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old September 17th, 2019, 13:09
NAXJA Forum User

Brake lines

Hey guys, I just did a rear disc brake conversion on my 1998 XJ. I used the rear calipers off a salvaged 2004 WJ I picked up for the motor. Being an electrician in a machine shop we made all my brackets for mounting everything. My question is what size brake line would be best? They both had 3/16 line. The rear line coming from the master cylinder on my XJ must be stopped up because I'm not getting any fluid, so I think I'm going to go with braided line instead of the hard line. I was just wondering if anyone is a math wiz or has dealt with this before and could tell me what size to make the rear and if I need to change the front I will to get the fluid in the right place at the right time so maybe I won't have to mess with the prop valve. Thanks!!!!
Old September 17th, 2019, 13:54
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Brake lines

The problem is that you're dealing with pressure, not flow. At the pressures we're talking about (<1000 psi), the fluid is incompressible and the "pressure wave" moves instantly through the system. For the purposes of this discussion, it won't make a difference what size brake line you put on there, it's not going to change much. On my 94, I simply swapped out the spring and "piston" in the distribution block with parts from a ZJ and I have awesome brakes, including in the snow. Some people don't do anything and still love it. Don't overthink it.
Old September 17th, 2019, 13:56
NAXJA Forum User

If your talking about the "hard" line that go's all the way from the front to the rear, that's a bad idea.
Old September 18th, 2019, 05:51
NAXJA Forum User

Brake lines

Not all the way. Just from where the hard line connects to the braided rubber line above the rear axle, unless I canít find where my fluid is being held up. I think it is in the tee though. I have my rear lines unhooked, I can stomp the brake and not get a drop of fluid. Iíll find where itís at this weekend. I guess I could have an issue with the master cylinder to. The brakes stunk when I started this project. I havenít really gotten into the brakes yet, been on other parts. I have done a a total upgrade through the entire Jeep. From transmission, transfer case, gearing, all the way to speakers. Everything except inside the motor. Just like brakes, transmission lines and paint and I can back it out of the shop once again (hopefully) it hasnít seen any sunshine in about 3 months. Itís time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old September 22nd, 2019, 16:08
NAXJA Forum User

Perhaps a bit of compressed air when disconnected, followed with a bit of parts cleaner. Then hit with air again.
Old October 1st, 2019, 07:44
NAXJA Forum User

Did you get this figured out?

Did you bleed everything hard line fittings banjos. The line of master cylinder.
I bett it's got air in it way ahead of the rear