NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old June 14th, 2011, 21:19
I worry when rattles stop

Safe storage of a gas tank while out of the Jeep??

I am in the process of starting some major repairs/upgrades to my 91 and I have removed the gas tank so that I can do some welding in that area. I have most of the fuel out of the tank but there is still a little bit in it along with the fumes. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do with the tank to keep it from being a fire hazard? Should I just cap the filler and vent bungs? If so, with what? Any ideas would be appreciated.

I've unfortunately already had a bad experience with fuel and flames and I'd rather error on the side of caution.
Old June 14th, 2011, 22:06
Admin and Member #69

Re: Safe storage of a gas tank while out of the Jeep??

Err on the side of caution. It needs to vent, so capping it tight is a bad idea.

Keep it away from sources of ignition and heat.

2001 4door XJ. 4.5 inch long arms, 33x12.50-15 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's, Superchips Flashpaq, bigger throttle body, AFE cold air intake, Advanced Adapters SYE, and a ton of stuff still to do on this project!
Old June 14th, 2011, 23:31
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Safe storage of a gas tank while out of the Jeep??

Empty the tank.

Remove the filler neck line and the fuel pump mounting access

Blow the tank out with compressed air, having one of the ports being the lowest point of the tank (fuel vapours are heavier than air, as I recall.)

Blow it out until you can't smell fuel anymore.

Set it aside, leave it open.

Recall that fuel vapours are very nearly explosive - which is why I store fuel cans (when empty) uncapped - and leave them upside down at first, so the fuel vapours drain out.

Ever hear of a "fuel-air bomb" or "fuel-air explosive?" Look it up - they're very effective in enclosed areas for antipersonnel...