• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moab Trip 4/15-4/19

proracedriver616

NAXJA Forum User
I left last sunday afternoon for breckenridge to finish up a bunch of last minute work on my jeep and to help my friend aaron finish up some things on his comanche. We worked on both of our jeeps for about 8 hours, until midnight, then left his shop to get some sleep before we left in the morning. But I got pulled over less than a block after leaving the shop and i got a careless driving ticket for driving over a curb, that was fun, the cop threatened to take me to jail for having a "lifted vehicle" and not getting it inspected and registered as a lifted vehicle...apparently something thats "an arrestable offense". So the next morning we left breck and drove through the worst conditions ive ever driven through going up I70. There was 6-10" of snow on some spots of the highway, down to one lane in most spots, and was snowing so hard there was almost no visibility...it went on that way till we hit glenwood springs.
8670685338_7514bd0c2e_c.jpg

After getting into moab i had a very slight intermittent squeal coming from something in the front end, sounded kinda like a rock inbetween the dust shield and rotor or something like that. About a mile down the road i found out what the noise was, my front right wheel bearing had no grease in it and completely siezed up, ruining the hub and lock nuts on the spindle. Everything was completely siezed up and i couldnt even get the spindle nuts to break loose so i had to take the jeep to M4o and have them fix it for me.

I dropped the jeep off right before they closed monday evening, and picked it up at noon on tuesday....with my walled $533 lighter i was finally ready to do some wheeling lol!

We ran hells revenge with a few guys from breck, it was my jeep, aarons comanche, an xj on 35s with a rock jock 60 in the back with a detroit and a lunchbox locker up front in his d30, and a '13 rubicon with less than 5,000 miles on it.

8670686574_a1ce90156e_b.jpg

8669585869_8efa4e5e5d_c.jpg

8670689614_83cc691ec3_c.jpg

8669588013_0f6fb7138b_c.jpg

Aaron got his truck a little hung up in the escalator on hells revenge

8669598457_f06b39ec5f_c.jpg

Hells revenge was pretty uneventful, it was fun because a bunch of the people with us had never done trails in moab before, and some of the people riding with us had never been offroading before so it was fun scaring them and showin em a good time! We all grilled out and drank beers till it started raining and then woke up to this...

8669598925_5897ed81c3_c.jpg

We went into town for breakfast and met up with my friends that made it out from colorado springs, they all had sas toyota trucks.

8669653565_3596ffc383_b.jpg

Even though we got a little bit of a late start we decided to run the Poison Spider/Golden Spike/Gold Bar Rim trail loop

8669655201_1425d56c22_b.jpg

8669657513_8435697150_b.jpg

8669659001_7d2f9c0baf_b.jpg

8670762910_b46e7fda19_b.jpg

8669662113_ca9158456b_b.jpg

8669663727_0177c2fff4_b.jpg

8670783778_185f51e4df_b.jpg

8670785936_f905ac71e6_b.jpg

8669685333_362303f136_b.jpg

8670788486_f4ee87f074_b.jpg

8669686631_ed26ee4b98_b.jpg

8670791834_8d532834b6_b.jpg

The big loop that consisted of all 3 trails took all day to do, about 9 hours i think, the last obstacle was the hardest part, but with a little rock stacking i made it through just fine. After the first 5 hours on the trail though i was over it and ready to be done.

We got a hotel room the last couple nights we were there. We replaced the motor mounts on the comanche thursday morning, and both did some pre-trail maintenance, got lunch and then ran Moab Rim trail thursday afternoon. Myself, the comanche, and the JK all ran it. That trail is off-camber the whole time leaning you towards the cliff and river, but other then seeming a little intimidating it was a pretty straight forward and easy trail. The Z turn was the worst part, but all of us made it through it just fine.

We wanted to wheel friday, but after fixing a bunch of things on the comanche and getting one of his tires re-mounted, we pretty much just packed up and left moab after some lunch.

It was a good time, it was fun being the only one open front and rear. I do think ill invest in a detroit locker for the rear sometime in the near future though. I got to do plenty of go fast driving at the end of the loop trail over lots of sandy woops, and a few other two tracks we found out in the desert, and let me tell you Fox shocks are awesome!!! My leaf springs didnt think that driving over 1-2' tall sandy woops was fun though, they are both bent where the second leaf stops lol. I really cant wait to get nice shocks up front and now im seriously considering 4 linking the rear.

proracedriver616 said:
After getting into moab i had a very slight intermittent squeal coming from something in the front end, sounded kinda like a rock inbetween the dust shield and rotor or something like that. About a mile down the road i found out what the noise was, my front right wheel bearing had no grease in it and completely siezed up, ruining the hub and lock nuts on the spindle. Everything was completely siezed up and i couldnt even get the spindle nuts to break loose so i had to take the jeep to M4o and have them fix it for me.

I dropped the jeep off right before they closed monday evening, and picked it up at noon on tuesday....with my walled $533 lighter i was finally ready to do some wheeling lol!
:wow:

We need to hit up the junkyards, so you can carry spares.

" I got pulled over less than a block after leaving the shop and i got a careless driving ticket for driving over a curb, that was fun, the cop threatened to take me to jail for having a "lifted vehicle" and not getting it inspected and registered as a lifted vehicle...apparently something thats "an arrestable offense"

Seth,

Send me that Officer's name and badge/ID number and what agency. That guy is so full of shit it infuriates me. Driving over a curb as careless driving? He needs to show someone was at immediate risk from your driving conduct. Arrestable offense for operating/owning a lifted vehicle without an inspection? Not in Colorado..... where you're registered. If he's implying you can't operate a lifted vehicle in Moab/Utah where you were at without Utah registration...... he's very much in the wrong.

WTF was his problem? Were you jacking around at the time? Or was it your goofy ear holes?

" I got pulled over less than a block after leaving the shop and i got a careless driving ticket for driving over a curb, that was fun, the cop threatened to take me to jail for having a "lifted vehicle" and not getting it inspected and registered as a lifted vehicle...apparently something thats "an arrestable offense"

Seth,

Send me that Officer's name and badge/ID number and what agency. That guy is so full of shit it infuriates me. Driving over a curb as careless driving? He needs to show someone was at immediate risk from your driving conduct. Arrestable offense for operating/owning a lifted vehicle without an inspection? Not in Colorado..... where you're registered. If he's implying you can't operate a lifted vehicle in Moab/Utah where you were at without Utah registration...... he's very much in the wrong.

WTF was his problem? Were you jacking around at the time? Or was it your goofy ear holes?

This was in silverthorn i believe, possibly frisco, whatever town is next to breckenridge. There was no way to turn left out of my friends shop, you had to turn right, go down a block, then do a u turn...so we both just turned left over the little curb dividing the lanes of traffic. It was almost midnight, there was not a car in sight, and we both slowly drove over the curb and for some reason the cop only stopped me. I was super polite and apologized a bunch to him and told him i was just excited for my trip, and told him how i never had a moving violation in CO ever...he didnt care though, him and his partner were both being huge jerks to me from the get go.

I cant complain too much though, i know i shouldnt have driven over the curb, but i didnt expect to almost be arrested over it, especially when i was being so appologetic and polite. The ticket is down in my glove box right now, ill look at it tomorrow and tell you who the officer was.

Ok, well driving over curbing intended to control the flow of traffic in order to drive contrary to the flow of traffic...... yeah, unfortunately there isn't much else that can be charged. I thought maybe you cut a corner short and your tires hopped up on the curb or something like that.

Still, pretty BS of him to charge a misdemeanor for that. I assume you have a mandatory court appearance and not just a fine right?

The BS about the inspection and special registration for lifted vehicles and that being a jail-able offense...... that's some made up keeraaappp right there.

I feel your pain for shitty tickets! Good luck in court, hopefully the smaller town da won't screw you over more!

Back