NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old May 14th, 2008, 10:46
NAXJA Forum User

lower hose temp sensor adapter & sensor?

I am in the process of changing my 89 XJ cooing system from closed to open. I searched but could not find any defining answers

Where can I find a lower radiator hose temp sensor adapter? (the splice in kind)
Or do you know the size of the lower hose?

Do I use the stock sensor out of my old radiator or a new smaller sensor? If so what is the part #
Old May 14th, 2008, 11:45
NAXJA Forum User

Re: lower hose temp sensor adapter & sensor?

I take it you're looking for a place to put the thermal fan switch?

Putting it in the lower hose makes about as much sense as AMC putting it in the "cold" tank - just because I like most of their ideas doesn't mean I like them all. You can usually find adapters like you're talking about at speed shops like Summit or Jeg's.

However, you may find it easier to get the 1991-up thermostat housing - it's got a port in it drilled and tapped 3/8"NPT. Then, select a switch (perhaps an adjustable one?) from a Chevrolet application and use that. Install in the thermostat housing.

Why do this? Because you then don't have to dink around with the lower hose when you chage it fairly regularly. You'll be able to use the same upper hose - the only real difference between 4.0L thermostat housings on either side of the 1990/1991 line is the 3/8"NPT port.

We like easy.
Old May 14th, 2008, 11:49
NAXJA Member

Hose size is 2.5"

I made one from pipe and brazed in the switch fitting taken from a Renix era radiator. I use this (Renix era fan switch) to trigger my electric fans. It have run trouble free for years, extremely reliable and never need adjusting. I wish I did not have to cut the hose. I like the idea of the switch screwed into the radiator.
Go for it. You would not regret it.

1996 XJ; 4.0L; AW4; NP231; SYE; D30 and D44; ECTED; 4.10 gears; 30X9.5 -15 BFG/AT/KO; 3" lift; Rusty's LCA; JKS ADJ UCA; Kevins ADJ Track bar; Drawtite Front Receiver; Dual Electric Fans; Dual Battaries.
Old May 14th, 2008, 12:17
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by techno1154
Hose size is 2.5"

I made one from pipe and brazed in the switch fitting taken from a Renix era radiator. I use this (Renix era fan switch) to trigger my electric fans. It have run trouble free for years, extremely reliable and never need adjusting. I wish I did not have to cut the hose. I like the idea of the switch screwed into the radiator.
Go for it. You would not regret it.
It won't be screwed into the radiator - it will be in the thermostat housing. This will make the farkin' thing easier to reach for replacement...

I'll probably end up doing something similar - just for an unrelated reason (I happen to like the "closed" system - it doesn't give me any trouble.)
Old May 14th, 2008, 12:40
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90
I take it you're looking for a place to put the thermal fan switch?

Then, select a switch (perhaps an adjustable one?) from a Chevrolet application and use that.
5-90 - interesting tidbit of info - can you elaborate a bit? I have a taurus electric fan in my 90XJ and I bought a Hayden controller which worked well for about 4 months before it died. I never really did like the whole temp sensor in the rad fins either. I have picked up the 91 up XJ thermostat cover but haven't sourced an appropriate sensor switch yet. Any leads on what make/model of chev product to look at?
Old May 14th, 2008, 12:56
NAXJA Forum User

83 corvette switch.....3/8 threads so it bolts into the 91+ thermo housing and turns the fan on at 210*
I'll be doing this soon.Costs about $20.
Old May 14th, 2008, 13:04
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks outlander. That temp seems about good for the XJ as well - I have the fan relayed in with a separate relay for high and low speeds. I'll wire the low speed into the temp switch and have a manual override for the high speed.
Old May 14th, 2008, 14:00
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlander
83 corvette switch.....3/8 threads so it bolts into the 91+ thermo housing and turns the fan on at 210*
I'll be doing this soon.Costs about $20.
Thank you - saved me the trouble of looking for it in a catalogue...!
Old May 14th, 2008, 22:09
NAXJA Forum User

I'm here all week...... lol
Old February 22nd, 2009, 20:55
NAXJA Forum User

83 Corvette?
Old February 22nd, 2009, 21:50
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdiamond View Post
83 Corvette?
Told ya - Chevvy part!

Of course, most of the aftermarket adjustable fan controllers (Hayden, Flowkooler, et al) also use sensors threaded 3/8" NPT, IIRC. That's what makes it so nice.

Semi-related question - if Henry Ford brought interchangeable parts to the automotive world, why does Ford have so damned many supercessions and such in their catalogues? Ford part numbers only seem to be valid for about a week at a time, and there are so damned many variations that I just don't work on the wretched things anymore...