• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1998 Clutch Pedal Issue

hoopty1111

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I just bought a 1998 XJ 4.0 5 speed. The PO warned me of a problem with the pedal. The clutch swings up freely if you happen to get your foot under it and the master cylinder ram falls out from the firewall and the connection to the pedal itself falls out. I have already put a clip on the little nub on the pedal to keep the ram on the pedal but the pedal will still come all the way back and the ram will come out of the firewall if you lift the clutch pedal up enough. It's obviously missing a few things down there, I just can't find a good diagram to see what is supposed to be there. Is there some sort of a return spring or what is there to stop it from coming up like that? Everything else seems fine with the clutch except i have to push it really hard to the floor in order for the clutch safety switch to allow me to start it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Back