• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A nagging problem!!

techno1154

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
My XJ have a habit of blowing the rear break/indicator bulb on the right side. So far 3 bulbs in about 4 weeks. They were all heavily discolored on the inside. The power seem to be good and the socket in great shape.

In more than 15 years I have not had to change any tail lights bulbs and now this. What could it be? The interesting part is, the side marker in that same light set have never skipped a beat.

My XJ have a habit of blowing the rear break/indicator bulb on the right side. So far 3 bulbs in about 4 weeks. They were all heavily discolored on the inside. The power seem to be good and the socket in great shape.

In more than 15 years I have not had to change any tail lights bulbs and now this. What could it be? The interesting part is, the side marker in that same light set have never skipped a beat.

A short or an open can't cause a bulb to blow. The bulb is rated for 12v and the max your system should be putting out is 12v. It is either vibrating them to death or you need to change where you buy your bulbs. The only other thing would be a bad voltage regulator, but if that were the case, you would see it on your voltage gauge and other things would be burning out as well.

A short or an open can't cause a bulb to blow. The bulb is rated for 12v and the max your system should be putting out is 12v. It is either vibrating them to death or you need to change where you buy your bulbs. The only other thing would be a bad voltage regulator, but if that were the case, you would see it on your voltage gauge and other things would be burning out as well.

The bulbs were purchased at Oriley's. During these 90* days, the voltage seldom if ever get above 14.0 volts unlike in the winter where it would go as high as 14.4 on the first start of a cold morning.
I checked inside the quarter panel the last time I replaced the bulb and found nothing out of the ordinary.
This weekend I will be looking at the wires where they emerge from the roof into the rain gutter before entering the lift gate. However, those wires are connected to the number plate light, the high break light and the rear wiper.

Swap bulbs from the left side. If it blows, then there's something about the socket/wiring.

Swap bulbs from the left side. If it blows, then there's something about the socket/wiring.

Thanks guys. I have identified the problem.

The quarter panel behind the wheel is rotted out. When it rains like it did a few days ago, the wheel spins water into the light housing. I have to find a temporary solution until I could do a cut and fold. I do not have a welder for body panels so rivets and screws will have to suffice.

Flex tape!! If it works on a boat, it'll work on your Jeep! :)

This is one of the reasons I replaced all the tail light sockets on my 92 with ones from the 97-01 mode!s - better sealed against stuff like this, and easier to get the light back onto the body.

Been meaning to do a write up on the conversion, guess I'll try to do that this week...

Back