NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old May 8th, 2004, 18:48
NAXJA Forum User

rear axle shock mount removal

Replacing the rear axle shock mounts with the short JKS's. What's the best way to get 'em off? BFH and cold chisel, cutting wheel, or what?
Old May 8th, 2004, 20:20
NAXJA Forum User

Re: rear axle shock mount removal

A Plasma cutter and grinder would be best,otherwise just the grinder!Also make sure you do the math before relocating the mounts!
Old May 8th, 2004, 20:28
PostMaster General

Band saw worked GREAT
Old May 8th, 2004, 21:30
NAXJA Forum User

Smile Re: rear axle shock mount removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx
A Plasma cutter and grinder would be best,otherwise just the grinder!Also make sure you do the math before relocating the mounts!
About the math. I thought the new mounts would go in the same spot as the old ones. I will have to rotate them slightly because of the 4* shim I needed to correct my pinion angle. Are there other considerations I need to be aware of? Can you be more specific on the math you referred to?

thanks
Old May 9th, 2004, 07:43
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdr1213
About the math. I thought the new mounts would go in the same spot as the old ones. I will have to rotate them slightly because of the 4* shim I needed to correct my pinion angle. Are there other considerations I need to be aware of? Can you be more specific on the math you referred to?

thanks
You need to check your shock travel so you dont bottom out the shocks by moving the mount up!
Old May 9th, 2004, 13:16
NAXJA Member #703

Sawzall and grinder are my tools of choice. When you mount the new ones, just be sure the mounting posts are perpendicular to the shock. You will need shorter shocks, or longer bumpstops.