• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NV4500 conversion kit from AA w/transmission

vetteboy

NAXJA Forum User
I'm bored so I'll give this a shot. This is a 'handyman special' kinda deal, like most of my for-sale items end up being. :laugh:

Basically this is most of what you'll need to replace an AX15 or AW4 (you'd need to supply the pedal assembly/clutch kit/etc) with a NV4500 trans...

7691921662_99616f495f_b.jpg

7691923166_f99ff6ea1b_b.jpg

What I'm selling includes:

- Jeep 4.0 -> AX15 bellhousing (more on this later)
- Advance Adapters adapter plate
- internal slave w/custom-fitted lines
- '94 Dodge NV4500 trans (more on this later)
- Advance Adapters NP231 tailhousing for the NV4500.

Details:

- This bellhousing *works* but is NOT the recommended one for this kit. Technically you should use an internal-slave bellhousing. I ran it for well over 5 years like this and the only things that needed to be changed were a) to grind down the mounting boss for the ball stud for the plate to sit flat (see upper right in bellhousing photo) and b) modify the lines for the slave cylinder to fit thru the spot where the external slave would mount. I'm including the slave cylinder and lines with it; even though it's in decent shape I'd recommend replacing the slave cylinder before installing just for PM, but the lines can be reused on a new slave cylinder.

- The NV4500 originally came from a 2WD Dodge Diesel. It has the 5.61:1 first gear. I installed the 1-1/8" x 10 input shaft which matches the Jeep clutch disc and factory pilot bushing. The input bearing retainer is a modified piece from Advance Adapters to work with the bellhousing adapter and Jeep internal slave cylinder. I also installed a 23-spline mainshaft with the upgraded 5th gear nut design. The trans had 300k miles on it when I pulled it apart; it got new bearings and shift fork pads when I put it back together with the new input & mainshaft, but the synchros were still OK so I didn't replace those. It shifts extremely smoothly and feels very solid, it's quiet, never pops out of gear, grinds a tiny bit occasionally going into 3rd/4th. I wouldn't hesitate to run it in a DD/weekend warrior as-is but someone mechanically inclined might wanna go through it. I always ran the approved Amsoil synthetic oil in it.

This whole setup will "bolt in" but WILL require modifications to your floor/crossmember/driveshafts etc.

Any questions, part sourcing, history, etc just let me know, I'll try and clear anything up. Not interested in dumping this on someone who doesn't know what they're getting into.

Lookin for $1000/obo, located in Colts Neck, NJ. Delivery negotiable.

Last edited:
I'd also entertain the idea of selling the adapter kit and/or trans separately if someone has the stock Dodge parts laying around. :)

Make an offer, you might be surprised. ;)

dumb questions time.

I have the stock dodge bellhousing and have been looking for this transmission. I don't have the stock tailhousing.

Is the input shaft the same between your setup and the stock setup? I imagine it is, since the pilot bearing is the same between a 5.2/5.9 and a 4.0 with AX15, NV3500, or NV4500, part number FC69907.

How much would you want for the transmission, lacking bellhousing, with the current tailhousing setup, and how much with the stock tailhousing setup, if you managed to find one?

Doubt I can afford it but hell, you said I might be surprised.

edit: I see the input shaft question has been answered already.

edit 2: with the current tail housing setup is probably fine with me, since I'd likely be putting an NP231DLD or NP241DHD or something similar on it anyways.

Last edited:
Back