NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > NorthWest Chapter
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

NorthWest Chapter Discussion of Chapter issues. Please keep Tech Topics on the Tech Forums.

Old November 4th, 2019, 21:15
NAXJA Member

Re: What did you do to your XJ today

Got started on the drum to disk conversion.
Out with the old. I knew the right rear wheel cylinder failed and I discovered the left was weeping brake fluid. Had forgotten until going inside the drums, I had replaced the shoes and hardware not too long ago. All the shoes on both sides were oil soaked.

Cleaned off tons of rust left over from the early years when the XJ lived in the Midwest. Bearings looked fine. New seals. Longer backing plate studs from the donor installed.

Dust covers were bent from the rough handling in the junk yard. It was easy to straighten. Donor parts looked good not much wear and hardware wasn't rusted out so I reused everything. Oh, grinding the backing plate centers was not fun, took longer than I thought.

Tried the original wheel studs with the lug nuts. Three and a half turns was not making me feel very comfortable. Replaced them with Dorman 610-290. They are the only ones with the same knurl diameter with a longer length. Was concerned with the little nub but my acorn security nut fit without bottoming out. Didn't buy the press for this job but it made this swapping the studs easy.

Hope to finish tomorrow.
Old November 4th, 2019, 21:53
NAXJA Member

What did you do to your XJ today

That looks great man! I love my KJ rear discs.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old November 5th, 2019, 21:40
NAXJA Member

Thank you Xero. It's good to hear positive remarks on the KJ brakes. Some have said they can't tell a difference. We'll see!

Getting there. Set the disks with nuts to pre adjust the parking brake shoes. Had to do it again later. Oh well. This is how I measured my current nuts on the longer studs.

Made my own hose brackets. Found another use for 4 degree shims. lol BTW, I'm getting the swag finger brake. Until then, this janky setup actually worked.

Brackets installed. Not the best setup but everything is secure and out of the way. Plus, now I have two spare lug nuts.

Last picture. It got dark on me so I couldn't get any more. Swapped the proportion valve, tightened two leaks, and finally bled everything. Used the ZJ parking cable on the D side, stock with a clamp on P side. Adjusted parking brakes and went for a ride. They settled in nicely. Brakes are smooth and vibration free. Junkyard rotors, calipers, and pads were just fine. Overall it was a fun project but took longer than I wanted. The weather played nice. Brakes work great. First time I have been able to stand on the brakes and lock up all four tires.

Last edited by Greenz; November 14th, 2019 at 07:32.
Old November 14th, 2019, 04:56
NAXJA Member

What did you do to your XJ today

Looks good, got any pics of the parking brake mounted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old November 14th, 2019, 07:39
NAXJA Member

I can get you a picture in a few days.

I used the 95 ZJ on drivers side which fits nicely. Passenger side is the stock XJ cable modified with the cable clamp. I don't like the way it looks but it works. Will continue to find a better solution. deesexj sent a link to G2 site but I haven't looked into it yet. This setup is awesome!