• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The End Of My Rope, T-Case Issues

fubar XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, my problem:

Firstly, I've searched. The things I've found have all been applied less completely replacing my linkage with one such as the Novak shifter assembly. So that is my last resort, but really I can't see how it will make a difference given everything I've done here. So here's the long and short of it.

My NP242 started giving me brief fits about 6 months ago. Occasionally popping out of gear, I'd just run it back to neutral, back to 4low, it was fine. So last October in Moab it completely gave up the ghost, would physically shift into 4low, would not engage the front axle. A few trips to Moab 4x4 Outpost included replacing the slightly loose chain and the shift fork tabs, neither of which made a difference. The shift forks aren't bent, everything internally looked okay.

So I get home and start fresh trying to figure out what's wrong. It would engage briefly in 4low, then make a grinding noise and kick out. Split the case with a buddy, inspected everything again, replaced the lock ring that physically couples the front drive end of the chain cluster to the front drive output. Still didn't work. Did Goatman's linkage replacement mod usinf heim rod ends and all-thread, since the cheesy factory rod ends were slightly bent and the plastic inserts slightly deformed. Seemed to shift more solidly, but still wouldn't stay engaged. Picked up a used NP242 from George The Jeep, thinking that there must be something internal that I'd missed, I'd start with an unmolested case. Swapped my mainshaft and SYE over and installed it. Still didn't stay engaged. A buddy asked me if my transmission mount was shot, makes sense in that it would allow the drivetrain to move around a bit and maybe pull the linkage tight and out of gear. Replaced with a new Trans mount, seemed to engage okay in a brief test run, had it out at Reiter for a more extensive test, still popped out of gear in 4low.

I have replaced everything that could have possibly been giving me issues, the 4low worked fine for the first year I wheeled this thing, now it doesn't. The rest of the moving parts in the linkage seem fine, no slop or other physical problems that I can find. Like I mentioned, the only thing left I can do is replace the entire linkage with the Novak unit, but everything I've done to this point seems like it would have eliiminated any linkage issues.

Thoughts?

Disengage the shifter linkage completely and shift by hand into 4-low. If it stays in 4-lo, you have good t-case and have a linkage or engine mount/tranny mount issue.

Okay, my problem:

Firstly, I've searched. The things I've found have all been applied less completely replacing my linkage with one such as the Novak shifter assembly. So that is my last resort, but really I can't see how it will make a difference given everything I've done here. So here's the long and short of it.

My NP242 started giving me brief fits about 6 months ago. Occasionally popping out of gear, I'd just run it back to neutral, back to 4low, it was fine. So last October in Moab it completely gave up the ghost, would physically shift into 4low, would not engage the front axle. A few trips to Moab 4x4 Outpost included replacing the slightly loose chain and the shift fork tabs, neither of which made a difference. The shift forks aren't bent, everything internally looked okay.

So I get home and start fresh trying to figure out what's wrong. It would engage briefly in 4low, then make a grinding noise and kick out. Split the case with a buddy, inspected everything again, replaced the lock ring that physically couples the front drive end of the chain cluster to the front drive output. Still didn't work. Did Goatman's linkage replacement mod usinf heim rod ends and all-thread, since the cheesy factory rod ends were slightly bent and the plastic inserts slightly deformed. Seemed to shift more solidly, but still wouldn't stay engaged. Picked up a used NP242 from George The Jeep, thinking that there must be something internal that I'd missed, I'd start with an unmolested case. Swapped my mainshaft and SYE over and installed it. Still didn't stay engaged. A buddy asked me if my transmission mount was shot, makes sense in that it would allow the drivetrain to move around a bit and maybe pull the linkage tight and out of gear. Replaced with a new Trans mount, seemed to engage okay in a brief test run, had it out at Reiter for a more extensive test, still popped out of gear in 4low.

I have replaced everything that could have possibly been giving me issues, the 4low worked fine for the first year I wheeled this thing, now it doesn't. The rest of the moving parts in the linkage seem fine, no slop or other physical problems that I can find. Like I mentioned, the only thing left I can do is replace the entire linkage with the Novak unit, but everything I've done to this point seems like it would have eliiminated any linkage issues.

Thoughts?
what u described right there is why I have a 231 in mine now.I replaced mine after a near accident (popped out of 4low) on a slippery downhill descent with a right angle corner at the bottom and cliff

Disengage the shifter linkage completely and shift by hand into 4-low. If it stays in 4-lo, you have good t-case and have a linkage or engine mount/tranny mount issue.

..beat me to it.

i would have done that way before tearing apart the case a few times.

..beat me to it.

i would have done that way before tearing apart the case a few times.

Yes, that is my next step. I just couldn't fathom that there would be any play left after replacing everything that would allow for play, especially when it worked fine for so long prior to the issue surfacing. But now I have to take it out somewhere with some terrain, lie in the dirt to unbolt the linkage, and run it around for a bit. Not looking forward to it, the whole thing has been a complete pain in the ass.

pardon my rant, this Jeep is pissing me off no end lately. From the parasitic draw/slow start issue to the leaking pinion and axle seals in the barely older than a year rebuilt diff, to the sagging rear springs of the same vintage, to the engages when it feels like it front OX cable. I just need to prioritize all of that crap and start knocking it out one issue at a time.

Thanks for your responses.

Back