• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ front CV shaft info

Bounty Hunter

NAXJA Forum User
Looking to shorten an XJ front shaft to use for the rear with a SYE, and I've heard the older XJ's have the thickest wall tubing. Is this true? What years are preferred donors?

I've read somewhere of .120" wall for the front shafts, is this the thickest out there?

Thanks.

The front shaft won't have to be shortened at all to use in the rear. Actually, it could probably be lengthened a bit. Be sure to find a front shaft from an auto XJ as they are the longest. Do some searches on custom SYE's as this has been covered a few times on this board as well as jeepsunlimited.

In the meantime feel free to browse through these pics of what you want to do.

http://community.webshots.com/album/69003822MOOVTt

Also, Bruiser is one of the first to use this setup so he has lots of info and experience with this.

Also, regarding wall thickness. I think this is set by the flange they use and I believe all XJ front shafts use 1/8" thick tubing in the 2" diameter size. Oh, if you can't find an XJ front shaft take a look at Explorer front shafts as they are within 1/4" of the length.

Back