• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spark plugs/ tune up ?

Loose_Nuts_Enterprises

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
What brand and number plugs do you guys recommend for replacing the stock ones on a 96 4.0 AW4? Also cap, rotor, wires, etc? Thanks i advance for your input,

Dan

My pal did all accel stuff and bosch platinums. I have heard stories about the platinums though. I think what I am gonna do is do the accel stuff and then just stick with the champion plugs. Don't know any #' but I know he cap wires rotor and plugs for $75 at the local parts store.

I used the stock oem Champion plugs(took Bosch Plats out), NAPA cap and rotor(has brass terminals) and the Mopar performance plug wires from the dealer. I think that the general consensus is that you will get better overall performance with oem parts, except for the cap and rotor. You can get the Mopar performance cap and rotor for earlier models but they aren't available for the 99 or later. The whole set should cost no more than 70.00.

I am also gonna "upgrade" the wiring coming right off the battery. The "bottleneck" of the xj's electrical system. Ihave to find a write up on gauging and such but it should be a simple thign that would help out.

I have gone with the platinums for over 5 years now with no problems. Stock wires from the dealer, cap and rotor from the local parts store. Total of about 55.00.

CHAMPIONS

Over the years I have tried split fire, accell"u-groove", Bosh platinum & platinum+4 blah blah blah. I used a cap and rotor from performance distributors (nice brass terminals) MSD wires (In hind sight I would use Magnacor 8.5 or 10mm wires instead) and good old fashion Champion Truck plugs. The platinum plugs will last much longer, but I feel that plugs are so critical to performance and inexpensive(Champions atleast) that they should be replaced yearly. I have NEVER personally felt a difference from "perfromance" sparkplugs and find anyone claiming massive performance gains to be suspect. Just my .02

I have done the wiring upgrade and inserted a bus fuse holder with a 60 amp fuse. The new wire runs in parallel with the original and is a 2 gauge. I have had it in a year and check the fuse from time to time. The lights seem to burn brighter and I left my lights on all day a few days ago by mistake. The battery charged up on a short erand run. I also ran a seperate alternator ground to the alt. case. I use bosch+4's and there is no improvement in performance. I can not swear but I think I detected a decrease in response from the Autolites that were in it at the time. This was before I read anything neg. concerning plat. plugs.

Am happy with the consensus-

Is generally thought throughout the auto tech world these days that OEM tune-up parts are the safest bet all the way around on all later vehicles. Engineers have worked very hard to design ignition systems that are totally specific to the engine applications and each component of them are critical to overall proper operation. Since directly connected to emissions have also been designed to last a long time which means generally really high quality. The plug wires on these 4.0's see no real heat and are of rather short runs so even the standard OEM wires should be sufficient. The only mod i make to the stock Champions are that i side gap them, ie., grind back the wire electrode a bit to unshroud the spark. This slightly accelerates plug wear but a set of these stockers a year is certanly no big deal at all. Gosh, if you really want to add another margin of performance, use indexing washers to specifically 'aim' the gap!!

Back