NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old December 7th, 2003, 09:11
NAXJA Forum User

My Steering Froze...

There has been a few days latley that have been around or below freezing. I got in my XJ to go somewhere but the steering wouldnt turn right. It was sticking, but after a few minutes it warmed up and I had no problems turning. I have herd that this is the steering box starting to die. Simmilar thing happened in my dads 95 Impalla SS.

Time for the upgrade:

I have been looking at a steering box from a 99 Dodge Durango. Any comments on this box? How well does it respond to hydro steering? Seems like its the cheapest and really easy to do.

AGR is out because of the cost and the horror stories I have herd from reading on this board and from a friend who had problems with one of their boxs.

I found this thread that talked about a Lee prepped XJ box (~$450). What is this and how well does it work.

Thanks,

AARON
Old December 8th, 2003, 15:06
NAXJA Member

Re: My Steering Froze...

Jeep J-20 steering box. As soon as I find one it's going in. My buddy just put one in his XJ with 38's and he said it's a striaght bolt in, and turns the tires with ease. You may not even need to rebuild it. _nicko_
Old December 8th, 2003, 16:37
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearwhine
Jeep J-20 steering box. As soon as I find one it's going in. My buddy just put one in his XJ with 38's and he said it's a striaght bolt in, and turns the tires with ease. You may not even need to rebuild it. _nicko_
I've heard a lot of good things about the '99 4wd Durango box as an alternative to the J-20. It's supposed to be the large bore like the J-20 box, and completely bolt-on. In fact I think it was discussed here not too long ago at all. Try a search for more info.

Ary
Old December 8th, 2003, 19:24
NAXJA Member

Try flushing the system. I had the same problems and flushed mine 3 times. It's still come up dirty but the sticking seems to be gone.
Old December 8th, 2003, 19:25
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ary'01XJ
I've heard a lot of good things about the '99 4wd Durango box as an alternative to the J-20. It's supposed to be the large bore like the J-20 box, and completely bolt-on. In fact I think it was discussed here not too long ago at all. Try a search for more info.

Ary
Ary, Your such a search nazi!

I did find the Durango box thread but all it listed was that the bolt patern was the same and that it had the bigger bore but only one person had used it and a few others just menioned on it with different opinions.

I was looking for a more in depth discussion of using the Durango box, like the pros and cons.

AARON
Old December 9th, 2003, 03:18
NAXJA Member #728

It would be a good idea to install an inline filter in the return line. They are available at NAPA....the only protection in the system from the factory is a magnet to trap the iron/steel particles...

Sounds like trash has contaminated the spool valve in the steering box...had the same thing happen to mine after a particularly rough and bouncy pass through the local mud hole...I flushed mine...installed the filter. Eventually it cleared up completely..hope this helps.

Steve
Old December 9th, 2003, 09:02
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks MudDawg, I will have to try the inline filter. Any way to clean out the spool valve? I have flushed the entire steering system twice in the last 2 years but still have this problem.

AARON
Old December 10th, 2003, 03:05
NAXJA Member #728

It's one of those luck things...at least it's cheap and easy enough to try before plunkin down bucks for a new box. Never had a box apart before..but i'm going to get a new one myself to tap for hydro-assist because the output shaft in mine is getting a little loose..guess i'll find out whats inside then..