• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust pipe from headers, to cat question

BIG98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Gettin ready to order the Banks headers for my 98, I have heard that u need to get a new pipe from the end of the headers to the cat. Is this true or what? Also heard that you should just get a new pipe, since that will add some power as well, but wanted to get some first hand opinions. Thanks

If you're gonna get the Banks header, I strongly recommend that you also get their optional mandrel-bent downpipe to the cat. The stock downpipe is a piece of junk.
If you don't have a high-flow cat, now would be a good time to get one. You can find the Carsound cat on e-bay very cheaply.

The Banks Downpipe is for TJs only. It won't bolt up on the XJ. The Banks header bolts up just fine to the stock downpipe. I did mine about 4 weeks ago. I will be having a new downpipe bent up in the next few months to reap all of the benifits of the header, but it isn't 100% nessessary.

I've had the banks torque tube header for about 6 months now. The stock downtube fits fine on it. The crushed part at the upper flange bothered me, so I had a muffler shop bend me a smooth new one. What I've heard is that it's better to buy the TJ downtube from banks, which is too long for the XJ and have it cut to size. I wish I had done that instead of spending a lot of $ to get the muffler shop to bend me a new one (lots of bends). I didn't notice much power improvement until I put the throttle body spacer on - then it was noticeable. FYI, it's with the stock cat-back setup too.

Planetcat said:
What I've heard is that it's better to buy the TJ downtube from banks, which is too long for the XJ and have it cut to size.

Anyone done this and does it really fit with just a shortening of the pipe? I installed the header on my '99 and want to replace the pipe from the header to the cat as well, while remaining CA smog compliant.

1. Can't confirm or deny that the TJ header is retrofitable to an XJ with just shortening. Probably need to have one in hand and put it next to the stock XJ one to see how different it is.

2. Sound diff is negligible, although with the TBS, the 4.0L makes a whistling sound at accelleration. Sort of sounds like a turbo charger. Other than that, no sound diff w/stock muffler setup.

This may help you out some, but since I have a 94 my emmisions system is alot different than yours. Some of these mods may not apply to you, I'm not sure. I had a Gibson stainless header put on my XJ last year, already had a 2.5 in Flowmaster 3-chamber cat back. Shortly afterward my converter crapped out and I had a local shop put on a free flow cat with a new down pipe from the header cause I was still using the stock down pipe. In addition to the free flow intake I can say with certainty that having the same diameter exhaust all the way through with a high flow cat and muffler does increase your performance. I used to have the A/C cut off while towing in the summer and going uphill, since the new exhaust and intake I no longer have this problem. Oh, I also have the Jet performance chip, had that prior to the header and still not sure it was worth the money. But IMHO if you're gonna spend the money for a nice header than might as well make sure the whole exhaust system is the same size. I think the stock downpipe at the factory bends narrows down to like 1.5 inches or something...definitely hurting any gains from the header. And don't forget about the intake, a great exhaust means you can suck that much more air in to maximize your HP. My MPG has suffered, I'm not sure by how much but to me the extra performance was worth it. And the Flowmaster definitely adds more rumble, many others on this board actually say it's too loud for their taste, but that's a personal preference. I've gotten used to it, but it can make conversations in the cab more difficult. Anyway, sounds like you're on your way to maximisizing your Jeeps performance, good luck and have fun!

Some great advice here, also.....not sure why one would install a header and hook it up to the restrictive stock cat and muffler? Keep in mind that some backpressure is good, using a size smaller tailpipe has been proven to enhance flow and maintain enough BP to help torque too. (Some muscle cars came from the factory this way)
Good tech here:
http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoExhuast.htm

BIG98XJ said:
Is there a better sound or rumble at all?

Want better sound. Nix the muffler and run 3" from the rear axle back. Have the shop that installs it put a "pencil" tip on the end of the pipe.

If the cat is in good shape ou will still have plenty of back pressure. Eliminating the muffler will make it a little louder than a glass pack. The 3" pipe will deepen the sound.

Ive got a Dynomax Super Turbo Catback kit and recently had Banks headers installed.

The exhaust sounded better than stock with the catback and when I put on the headers it got even better. It helped even out the sound to a nice deep tone. It sounds like a Silverado we used to have now! And I definetly got more power and much better gas mileage. There is some whistling coming from my stock air intake though.

Next comes a new intake, downpipe, and converter!:D

Back