• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stolen Audis

I don't think you understand how euro cars are put together...

What he said. Here is just one of the latch mechanisms for the rear seat. And they are replacing just the tumbler, so it not as simple as out with the old, in with the new. 4 hours is probably generous, most labor times are, but its likely not far off.

i.php

I don't think you understand how euro cars are put together...

Everything people always seem to boast about with Euro cars is how easy they are to perform service on, which is why the parts being more expensive mattered less. :dunno:

So, if parts are more expensive, the car is harder to work on, and Euro cars are more prone to failure...it makes me curious how they hold much of the market.

Everything people always seem to boast about with Euro cars is how easy they are to perform service on, which is why the parts being more expensive mattered less. :dunno:

So, if parts are more expensive, the car is harder to work on, and Euro cars are more prone to failure...it makes me curious how they hold much of the market.

Some parts are more but not a lot sometimes they are cheaper. Really depends on where you source them from and what it is. The other plus is most parts are still made in Germany vs china. Service on my X is easy for the most part but the big ticket items that get serviced are a TON of labor. Mainly because the amount of shit you pull off to get to the one part. Really if you can DIY they aren't much more than anything else. It's the labor that bits you in the arse. I just did my valve covers gaskets and a full tune up(plugs, coils some random gaskets) cost me about $250 in parts. The quote from a german shop was over 1k for everything.

Some parts are more but not a lot sometimes they are cheaper. Really depends on where you source them from and what it is. The other plus is most parts are still made in Germany vs china. Service on my X is easy for the most part but the big ticket items that get serviced are a TON of labor. Mainly because the amount of shit you pull off to get to the one part. Really if you can DIY they aren't much more than anything else. It's the labor that bits you in the arse. I just did my valve covers gaskets and a full tune up(plugs, coils some random gaskets) cost me about $250 in parts. The quote from a german shop was over 1k for everything.

This, I do most things myself. The non-Audi branded parts are typically all made in Germany. It might take me a little longer to do things but in general I am not spending a ton more for the general wear items. And none of my Audi's have been what I consider unreliable. I have never been stranded anywhere because of a mechanical failure.

Doesn't look like they will total either. I found out that since both events are unrelated and separate claims they do not total the damage between them when they decide to scrap them or not. Since both theft/rekey and likely hail are $3k or less I will be getting both back. Adjuster has looked them over once for the theft and is going back on Monday for the hail. Not thrilled, the convertible was on the block to be sold. Now when folks run a Carfax it will reflect a theft recovery and just a month before it's listed for sale. (n)

Check your insurance policy documents on line or what they mailed to you (if you kept it) for their stance on "diminished value claim".

I thought about doing it on my truck after the massive repair to fix the hail damage, but I have no plans on selling it any time soon, so I doubt I'll see much diminished value when the truck is 10+ years old by the time I may/may not sell it.

The insurance companies never offer you the option to claim diminished value, but many provide the process and service in their policies.

Worth asking about.....?

Back