• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.88 ring and pinions now available for the 8.25 chrysler!

i'm pretty sure someone posted the same link at least a month ago. but cool, nonetheless

Website only mentions 27 spline count size, not 29....

Website only mentions 27 spline count size, not 29....
Shouldnt make a difference, ring/pinion are the same AFAIK. If its true, cool, but i'm still not holding my breath. Something like this pops up at least 3 times a year here.
-Ryan

I assume they are talking about the pinion yoke.My question is who is Nitro Gear & Axle?

if i can remember correctly, the reason nobody made a 4.88 for the 8.25 is the pinion size, it gets smaller, and smaller, the higher numerically you go in gears.

if you searched, youd find pictures of said pinion.
if your going higher geared, chances are you run bigger tires and are harder on the jeep.
apparently nitro gear and axle doesnt have a website, and if they cant get a basic website up, i sure wouldnt trust them to make gears. theyre probably chinese crap(chinese buisnessmen doesnt care how long your 4.88's last after you buy them)

theres a reason people only use gears from certain companys... good luck. keep us updated on your chinese running gear.

The 8.25" pinion is almost the same size as a D44,so it shoulnt be a problem.

if i can remember correctly, the reason nobody made a 4.88 for the 8.25 is the pinion size, it gets smaller, and smaller, the higher numerically you go in gears.

if your going higher geared, chances are you run bigger tires and are harder on the jeep.
apparently nitro gear and axle doesnt have a website, and if they cant get a basic website up, i sure wouldnt trust them to make gears. theyre probably chinese crap(chinese buisnessmen doesnt care how long your 4.88's last after you buy them)

theres a reason people only use gears from certain companys... good luck. keep us updated on your chinese running gear.

I dont know about that buddy, haha, jumping to conclusions much?

There aren't a wide selection of gears for the 8.25 becuase its not a popular enough axle to build all kinds of axles, lockers and gear sets for, we all see it in the aftermarket. I do remember Just Differentials saying something about clearancing something in the diff due to the thicker ring gear tho.

talk to anyone who installs gears and ask em if theres a differance between the top of the line, and bottom barrel.
then ask them where nitro gear sits

uh huh :rolleyes:

With 2 mins of searching i found a short little paragraphs about them.

"NITRO gears are manufactured using state-of-the-art CNC Machining processes, and the highest quality 8620 forgings. Special heat treating and lapping processes ensure long lasting, quiet running, and a smooth installation every time."

-thats the same kind of steel that superior and yukon advertises

Last edited:
It is true that the pinion gets smaller with lower gear ratios (larger number). Same goes for dana 30 & dana 35. The only reason nobody has made the 4.88 for 8.25 is the limited demand. The dana 35 is much more common. As for website, I prefer gear people make my gears not websites!!:eeks1:

I cannot find a manufacturer address or anything of the sort for Nitro Gear and Axle/ring and pinion.
What I did find was a lot of was advertisments for "new" Nitro ring and pinions for FJ 8" split cases and CryCo 8.25's...
What was really scary was that Nitro gear is pretty huge in the RC car world... ZIONKS!

Gears Suppliers serving All States/Provinces
There were no Product/Service Directory Results found for "Gears", keywords "nitro gear", serving All States/Provinces.

From what I found it seams to be Just Differentials private brand. Smells like chinese to me.

uh huh :rolleyes:

With 2 mins of searching i found a short little paragraphs about them.

"NITRO gears are manufactured using state-of-the-art CNC Machining processes, and the highest quality 8620 forgings. Special heat treating and lapping processes ensure long lasting, quiet running, and a smooth installation every time."

-thats the same kind of steel that superior and yukon advertises

yeah, because Yukon and Superior make their own gears.

Back