• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What level of trails are you running??

Andy in Pa.

NAXJA Member #180
OK folks, lets hear it. We have quite a range of possiblities this year for trails.
We are running the usual Hardcore, Moderate, Mild, and Stock levels, but we're tacking on an Ultra-Hardcore group this year.

What type of trails are you running??

Andy

I'll be running the mild/stock trails. Maybe work my way up to a moderate trail by Sunday.

It seems I would be at moderate since i have to drive it back to Detroit.

This will be my first NAXJA event.

How hardcore is hardcore? 50/50 chance of rolling/breaking?

Last edited:
I'm running with the stock group. Don't wanna scratch nuttin' ya know.

Sean

JasonXJ said:
How hardcore is hardcore? 50/50 chance of rolling/breaking?

Thanks for being honest about your interest, Jason. NOT like some of the others who have responded so far! :jester:

"hardcore" at Paragon (the Black trails) don't usually present much of a rollover problem, but breakage/body damage is a strong possibility. Especially for the less-than skilled. The Red trials (ultra-hardcore) are a real diceroll for non trailer queens.

Then again, we had a stalwart NAXJA'er bust an axle shaft last year on a Green trail stream crossing! (Okay, I'm being a bit unfair, he did try to get out of the water at the harder exit). Point is, it just takes a second of inattention and any trail can bite. Even the access roads. While towing out a broken buddy from Sluice, "somebody" even blew a clutch line in the parking lot!

The Blue trails (moderate) are a nice mix of challenge and difficulty, especially if it's wet, so I don't think you'll be bored, and you can still count on getting back to Detroit (but, why would you want to? :D )

Mike in NJ :patriot:

I have never been to paragon so I am unsure of what to run. I have done some mods to my jeep, but I really have only been truely offroading about 5 or 6 times (not counting a few small non-maintained dirt roads and power lines near my house). I have a 4.5 in lift and 31's, unlocked. I have skids and rock rails.... would mild or moderate be appropriate for me?

John

Having been there once I'd say moderate, but it really is ultimately up to the driver. So ask some others when you get there and see what other XJs match or are close to your specs and run with them.

i'll shoot for the moderate+ trails if i can get the undercarriage self-oiling system on the trail rig under control by then.. otherwise it's puss trails or riding shotgun with someone else.....

mike

lobsterdmb said:
I have a 4.5 in lift and 31's, unlocked. I have skids and rock rails.... would mild or moderate be appropriate for me? John

Having open diffs could cause some difficulties on some of the upper blues, but for the most part - with 31's and armor - picking a line will determine how well you do. We've always had good luck with our spotters, so, with a good group of XJ'ers, you'll probably do fine on the moderate runs.

No shame in running some upper greens though to gain confidence - they have their own challenges - it's not just dirt roads. Hopefully you can spend more than one day with us and experiment at some different levels.

If the past is any guide, we usually have a large group wanting to run moderate at some point. Paragon has three levels in each of the green, blue, and black trails, so there's a good chance there will more than one "moderate" run on a particular day (especially Saturday). Like jeepguy 97 said, talking about it w/ the rest of the guys can help decide. You can make a decision on the spot, no need to sign up for a particular run in advance.

Mike in NJ :patriot:

i think im gonna try blue 3's and black 1 and 2's. at last years nacfest i won the arb gift cert. so now im ready to roll. :roll:

When I get out there, I want to run as many as I can ; level is not too much a concern. I'll probably start on the mid-level trails and feel out the terrain. I'll go from there.

Priority is to not break too badly ... have ~900 mile trip home.

Les

Back