• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Well looks like I may be rejoining the SoCal chapter somewhat...

freerider15

NAXJA Forum User
So...

It looks like I might be becoming a dual resident...again.

Been a while since I was a SoCal chapter member...but here we go again!

Long story short:

I work as a Validation Engineer for a company that specializes Commissiong and Qualification. I've been working on a project at a company, big biotech company, that was supposed to last a while, then move onto other projects that come up within this site. Well, got word yesterday...the project is being cancelled and the plant put in idle status sometime in 2013. Those of you who live in Longmont probably know exactly what company i'm talking about.

Soooo...looks like i'm going to become a traveler for a bit until things ramp up again in Colorado. Two locations they're looking at sending me (though CA is not 100% yet) would be either San Diego or Thousand Oaks. I'm pushing for Thousand Oaks for a variety of reasons.

I'll be doing 10-4's (10 days on, fly home for 4 days off).

Can you say CO wheeling in the summer...and Johnson Valley in the winter :D

Though this might not make working on the buggy the easiest thing in the world...

Slated day to leave...the 25th of THIS month. Considering until yesterday evening I had planned on working at this site for a few years at least...this is a BIT of a curveball!

Gawd, I hope it pays VERY well........... that 10-4 schedule would SUCK. Work 10 days, spend one day flying home, 2 days off, another day flying back to work.

No thanks.

Regardless, I hope it all comes together well for ya Justin. :thumbup:

work 10 days, fly home on the night of day 10, sleep in on day 11, fly out early am on day 1.

My dad has been doing a version of that for years......one of the reasons he elects to live in a van instead of an expensive apartment.

Gawd, I hope it pays VERY well........... that 10-4 schedule would SUCK. Work 10 days, spend one day flying home, 2 days off, another day flying back to work.

No thanks.

Regardless, I hope it all comes together well for ya Justin. :thumbup:

Thanks Troy :thumbup:

It pays decent, but I should be seeing a rather very handsome raise come January.

With per diem (if I land in Thousand Oaks), I could make a BIT more than I do now just off of the extra money not used each day.

I already spend ~$300/month in gas commuting. So take that, possibly add per diem and other things...and I could pay off a good bit of debt decently quick.

The 10-4 schedule would and wouldn't suck. I can also stay there, take my 4 days and go see things if I wanted (like go visit the beach, breweries, WHEELING). As well, I might be able to rack up overtime, possibly a lot of it (i'm hourly so I get compensated :D) which would be worth it.

Is this something I want to do a long time (i.e. > 1 year)...NO. Is my girlfriend happy about this...oh hell NO. Is it a chance to move up the chain, make myself more known in the company and a good chuck of $$$... hell yes. :D

It's going to be kinda weird/funny when people ask where I live and my response is "Fort Collins, CO", and then they ask where I work "XXXX, California." Ha the confused look on their face will be fun.

work 10 days, fly home on the night of day 10, sleep in on day 11, fly out early am on day 1.

My dad has been doing a version of that for years......one of the reasons he elects to live in a van instead of an expensive apartment.

Yeah I would fly out on day 10, and either fly out the night of the fourth or early morning of Day 1.

Difference between me and your dad Sam...pretty much everything is paid for in my deal.

So hotel, flight, food, rental car, etc....all out of pocket of the client.

This also lends to me reaping a TON of rewards through frequent flier miles, hotel stay, etc. etc. :D

Yeah I would fly out on day 10, and either fly out the night of the fourth or early morning of Day 1.

Difference between me and your dad Sam...pretty much everything is paid for in my deal.

So hotel, flight, food, rental car, etc....all out of pocket of the client.

This also lends to me reaping a TON of rewards through frequent flier miles, hotel stay, etc. etc. :D

If they would just give you an allowance to use on all those things you could live in a van too and save lots of money.

If they would just give you an allowance to use on all those things you could live in a van too and save lots of money.

Ha...yeah no kidding.

Though the rooms are actually pretty cheap since you book them in advance for a good amount of time, so its not your normal hotel room rate...though i'll be in extended stay hotels (full kitchen, etc.) not you normal bed, bathroom type.

Ha...yeah no kidding.

Though the rooms are actually pretty cheap since you book them in advance for a good amount of time, so its not your normal hotel room rate...though i'll be in extended stay hotels (full kitchen, etc.) not you normal bed, bathroom type.

My van has a bed, stove, sink, fridge, toilet bucket, etc.

But if they are paying for it......whatev's

Apparently Justin has no interest in Living like a certain Chris Farley character....... :roflmao:

Back