• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Uwharrie Work Days 2017

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
Uwharrie National Forest
Volunteer Work Day Schedule

Trails Open on April 1, 2017

January 28

February 25

March 18

April 15

May 20

June 17

July 15*

August 19*

September 16

October 28

November 18

Trails Close on December 15, 2017

is this an open call for volunteers...or do you need to be a member? Also, what time & where are ya meeting up?

I've been doing them so long I forgot I should probably add more info. So here goes:

Work days start at 9 am at the hunt camp. Anyone is welcome to join in. I'm on the email list so I get the orders of what needs to be done and try and post it up in this thread for all to see what is needed. The hours we work the forest service turns in out time and is given grant money for the forest. It is not earmarked it is for the entire forest. One work weekend last year I think we worked and raised $50K We generally have about 20 - 40 people show up. They usually go off regardless of weather. Trail passes are given out so they know everyone is there legally. After the day is done usually 2 or 3 you can ride the trails if they are open. They are open from April 1st - December 15th. The URE trail system is one of the last National Forest Trail systems in the South East. The Uwharrie Mountains are littered with Archaeological sites that have to be protected. These work days help us to help the Forest Service to keep and maintain the trails. Without our help we will loose them. As a Side note URE is actually going to be gaining a trail in the next couple years. Yes they are opening a new trail....

I think this was about 2 years ago.

Here is a work day I worked in Feb of 2012.

http://s16.photobucket.com/user/xjghost/library/URE Trail Work Day 2 25 12?sort=3&page=1

Work day is Saturday. I will be out there pulling the FOU trailer again....

Very successful work day. I hauled about 6 loads of rock with the FOU HHMV trailer.

Looks like the next workday will be the 25th. Will keep you guys posted....

Looks like the next workday will be the 25th. Will keep you guys posted....

Awesome work Glen! I commend you for leading the charge with the hauling duty. URE is a needy princess...:laugh:

Glad you can lend a hand. I remember in my highschool days drilling auger holes all over some of those trails then driving guardrail posts in as far as we could go. If I lived closer I would be there as much as I could in the off season!

Awesome work Glen! I commend you for leading the charge with the hauling duty. URE is a needy princess...:laugh:

Glad you can lend a hand. I remember in my highschool days drilling auger holes all over some of those trails then driving guardrail posts in as far as we could go. If I lived closer I would be there as much as I could in the off season!

Thanks! I have done my fair share of post hole drilling up there. Even with a bobcat....

Hi Everyone – I hope you’re all doing well and getting ready for opening day on March 31st. Our next work day has been switched to March 25th and we’ll meet at 9 am at the Uwharrie Hunt Camp. The projects we’ll be doing is installing & fixing split rail fencing & fixing sections of guardrail on Dickey Bell Trail, Slab Pile Trail, Wolf Den Trail and Falls Dam Trail. We’ll also have carsonite (brown fiberglass) signs to install along the trails and behind the fences for “No motorized vehicles”…

Please bring claw foot hammers and pliers and crow bars to pull old nails out of the old sections of split rail fencing we can reuse, bring work gloves, augers, post hole diggers, shovels, rock bars, & sledge hammers. I’ll have the signs & sign installation tools. I’ll also have some crews go to the stream crossings where we took the log corduroy crossings out and ask you to take the cables out of the logs. I’ll have the cable cutter and small sledge with me and we’ll have one crew go around and do that on several trails.

Thanks a lot everyone. I appreciate all of your help. Bye - Terry

Sorry for the delay. Work day on the 25 was a huge success. We got a lot of work done.

Loading split rail fencing.

Some of the volunteers.

Dragging wood through the woods:

Used the OBA and HF nail gun to install the split rail fence.

Fixed the guardrail at the top of Dickey Bell.

Bringing this back up. It's been a busy few months and I've been slacking on Volunteering. Hoping to go June 17th depending on Crawl prep. Who's interested?

Hi Everyone – Our next work day on the OHV Trails is Saturday, June 17th. I know it’s Father’s Day Weekend and what better way to spend time with your kids than to help volunteer on the Uwharrie National Forest (ha). Annilie & Austin will be working with you all at this work day. Meet at 9 am at the Uwharrie Hunt Camp ready to install some more guardrail at the 1st dispersed campsite on Falls Dam Trail just south of the Falls Dam & Art Lilley Trailheads. I’m hoping to have all of the rails & posts there piled up for you so you won’t have to do any dragging.

We’ll also need some crews going around with loppers & pruners to clear back around the trailhead signs, around the trail signs and to cut back the sides of the trails to improve site distance and to open up the trail corridor for 2-way traffic. Trash pick-up will also be one of the tasks. Thanks a lot everyone.

September 16th work day is coming up who is interested in working on the trails with me? I plan on being there to do what ever is needed then ride some afterwards.

Back