• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

thoughts, what do you think I should do?

jeepcomj

NAXJA Forum User
as time wears on, I come to see some problems;

I'm 21. I have 3 accounts of misdemeanor theft on my record, from stealing one digital projector from the university I used to attend. this occured september 2006. I was turned in by my best friend's girlfriend...literally while I was on the way to return the projector. oh well, I am not ashamed of anything regarding that, because it has made me a better person on the hole, and God obviously had a lesson for me to learn. the 3 accounts are expunged upon completion of 2 years of probation, which ends june 2009.

resulting, I spent one semester out of school. then went back for one semester, cleaned up my act, retook a few classes and jumped my GPA up to a 2.9 from a 1.7. then back out of school, because I owed them $7800...fafsa did not come through in time for that semester, and I thought that my parents had payed for the previous one. oh well, I blew enough of my money that semester to probably cover school, so I accept responsibility. I can learn from this.

so, I've been regaining my ground. I was working as a lifeguard in the town where I attend college...45 minutes from home, and getting 29mpg until the motor blew in my 86 comanche (my fault) and I started driving the 87 a few weeks later...it got 17mpg, and took half of my paycheck (at least) plus then I had car insurance to pay on it. I kept that job so that when I went back to school, I would have a job (they're notoriously hard to find in college towns).

well...spending half of my income on gas, and the other half on getting the truck done as well as paying bills...I didn't get too far. so now a jeep friend was good enough to hire me at the shop he runs, which services coca-cola machines. I like it, it's not too bad. right now I'm working nights for a KBB remodel at wisconsin-area McDonalds, so I work Sunday through Thursday nights, between 4 hours and (more likely) 12 hours a night with driving included.

so I just have one full day off, and two half days off. both half days are usually sleep catch-up days, so I can at least have one normal day with friends and family. ironically, upon thought, stealing a projector tends to cause one's friends to think twice about their association with one'self. kinda sucks, but it is life and it's not the worse thing in the world...I can learn from this.

basically, I'm paying for my mistakes. this is good, it builds character. It is the way things are supposed to be.

the unfortunate thing is, that both of my trucks need work, and I have a company vehicle to take to work and back. I'm making money, but all of it is going to pay debts, or finish the trucks, which leaves me broke and generally means I spend more time fixing things and less time socializing, because most socializing costs money that I don't have, or have alotted elsewhere.
so, I've been thinking lately about just selling the jeeps, buying a small car, or a stock jeep or something. I don't think that there is 5,000 dollars sitting in the jeeps since one has been totalled (makes me want to cry...$7500 investment, first father-son project) by another driver who turned left into it, and the other one is just a lifted but well equipped truck...

I don't know what to do. there's no $$$ to buy a small car unless both of them are sold, or I could just stop working on them for now and stop driving on weekends until the $$$ is there. I feel guilty when work doesn't get done to them (and they need it, like any jeeper would know) so leaving them sit isn't all that appealing.

I'm basically trying to get back on my feet without going broke, and make enough money that when I DO go back to school (hopefully in the fall of 2009), I can do so with enough $$$ in my bank that working 20 hours or less a week at some piddly job where I have no responsibilities, will be possible.

sorry guys for the long post...i don't feel sorry for myself, and don't expect you to. just laying it out so you can develop opinions based on full knowledge of the situation.

do you have any thoughts or ideas?

thanks. I have a trail run this weekend, and after that I will think things over alot. the only reason that I don't sell without thought, is that years from now, it would be a shame to think back and say "now, I wish that I would have kept that..."...especially with the 3800 camaro powered comanche. I hoped to keep it around long enough for my (future) kids to drive it, as more or less of a memento of my father (I hope he's still kicking around then too)

I say keep it, work your butt off and fix the jeep.

I am 22 and also have had my trouble with the law.

I Have a felony w/ 1 strike from a fight when I was 19/ I did a few months in lockup and am on probation till july 24th '09.

The hardest thing to do is play catch up and to continue to move forward.

The best advice I can give you is that Family will always be there, friends (good ones) will understand. I work nights, at least 40 hours 4-12:30. Sometimes saturday and sunday. I am a shipfitter, so the work I do is pretty strenuous, welding, cutting and working steel from 1/4" to 2" thick all night.

Keep sunday for chillen' and the rest for working.

The harder you work now, the more you relax later.

I see you have two, so I would sell one maybe and buy a cheap DD.

Its a DD so it doesnt have to be fancy, as long as the engine is good.

Unfortunetly for me I am still making heep payments so this is my DD(fun at 10 mpg)

I dont know where in wisconsin you are, but this is in greenbay...

http://greenbay.craigslist.org/cto/884389461.html

Good luck and I hope everything works out for you!

Remember, Labor creates all wealth!

thanks. I have a trail run this weekend, and after that I will think things over alot. the only reason that I don't sell without thought, is that years from now, it would be a shame to think back and say "now, I wish that I would have kept that..."...especially with the 3800 camaro powered comanche. I hoped to keep it around long enough for my (future) kids to drive it, as more or less of a memento of my father (I hope he's still kicking around then too)

Ummm....DONT GO ON THE TRAIL RUN......
What the hell. You dont have money and you already need to fix your vehicles. The last thing you should be doing is spending money to drive around in the woods and possibly break something else.

What do I think you should do.... Stop making bad decisions. Making poor decisions is like being an alcoholic.
Once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic and being sober is a life long battle.
If you have poor decision making skills now, thats going to be a life long battle for you. You're not going to wake up one morning and suddenly be good at it, it something you will need to work at.
Look around, you see the 40 year old unemployed guy wearing a wife beater, living alone in a smelly mobile home on a dirt lot and driving a 74 Vega with a busted passenger window. He's the kid who never stopped making bad decisions.

The way you want to live your life and dealing with the reality of how you can live your life is very hard.

One thing you don't think of when you are young this time in your life is very short. Going 4 years to college is a mere sliver of time compared to the 40, 50 additional years you are going to live.

Do what you need to do now get set yourself up for success later in life.

Make the hard decisions now, and it will pay off later. Not in 40 years, but say in 5.

As you make the best decisions you'll see your life gradually improve. You'll feel better about the decisions and you'll become more confident that everything will work out just fine.

Maybe you don't have to sell both Jeeps. Make a deal happen, work hard at finding something that fits. Be willing to do what it takes to meet your goals and you'll find a way.

I see one mental trap here, in the word "invested." Buying and building and running those Jeeps is a hobby, and an expensive one. It will always cost you money, and if you do not have the money, it will kill you with debt. It's not an investment, and if you see it that way, you run the risk of throwing good money after bad. You'll never get it all back, so you need to decide when it's smart to cut your losses. I hate to see anyone Jeepless, but if you can't afford to run them, I'd say sell them, get your act together, get out of debt before it eats you alive, and you can try again later. It will always be both easier and quicker to accumulate money when you're out of debt than it is to pay off debt.

I think Ray H has it. Now is the time to start making good hard decisions.

hmm.

well, let's put this together real quick, because for the most part, I am making good decisions. I have payed back all of my state fines, payed off my personal loan, payed all of my probation fees, and I pay my taxes. all that is left is fafsa payments, paying the school back itself ($4000 left to pay), and car insurance.
I work around 70 hours a week and don't spend much time with the people that I love. the trail run that I'm going on is to the badlands. never gone, and I need some sort of fun...$250 for a trail run won't kill me, and I can always decide afterward what to do. I know that I probably shouldn't go on the trail run...BUT I'm current on this month's bills (including loan payments) and have half of next month's saved up as well.

you're looking at a f$#*-up here, BUT a f$#*-up that has no more than $15k in debt...and all that debt is, at least, because of school and not spending sprees/credit cards/drugs/gambling...

oh, I don't drink except on a few rare occassions...and when i do it's a few beers at most (I like mike's hard better though...)

thanks guys, I just needed to put everything into perspective.

sell one of the manches and use the money to pay down debt or to put into the other comanche preferably the first thing i mentioned. :D

hmm.

well, let's put this together real quick, because for the most part, I am making good decisions. I have payed back all of my state fines, payed off my personal loan, payed all of my probation fees, and I pay my taxes. all that is left is fafsa payments, paying the school back itself ($4000 left to pay), and car insurance.
I work around 70 hours a week and don't spend much time with the people that I love. the trail run that I'm going on is to the badlands. never gone, and I need some sort of fun...$250 for a trail run won't kill me, and I can always decide afterward what to do. I know that I probably shouldn't go on the trail run...BUT I'm current on this month's bills (including loan payments) and have half of next month's saved up as well.

you're looking at a f$#*-up here, BUT a f$#*-up that has no more than $15k in debt...and all that debt is, at least, because of school and not spending sprees/credit cards/drugs/gambling...

oh, I don't drink except on a few rare occassions...and when i do it's a few beers at most (I like mike's hard better though...)

Ok then, problem solved. Just do what you want then justify it later. It seems alot has changed in a day. Now you are ok with being in dept and you have an extra $250 laying around that you dont need for other things like vehicle maintenance or a surprise breakdown.

hmm.

Ahhhhh I'm sorry I didn't realize I was just supposed to listen and not give any advice. I should have learned this from the past 16 years with my wife. Ok, I understand what we're doing now. Thanks. :dunno:

Buy the cheapest shotgun you can and get two shells for it...since you'll obviously fuck up the first shot and need the second one. :)

This is a better alternative...Here

It will help with either getting your act together or an alternative to ECKSJAY suggestion.

Last edited:
it's funny, I DID enlist. failed the physical due to some health issues.

I listened to what you all said, and took it. the money for the trip has been budgeted for more than 3 months, and while maybe I'm making excuses to go on the trip...I will not be to a point of ZERO fun in my life, for over a year (I have bailed on 6 wheeling trips this year so I can pay bills). all the working on the truck has been to get it to this point, not to let it sit and not be used.

that aside, alot HAS changed in a day. I made progress on the MJ...adjusted the upper control arms, built new rear shock mounts, put different spring plates on it (chryco 8.25's fit for dana 44's), cleaned up a set of xj 4.5" rear shocks that I saved for it (25" full extent, 15" compressed, set for 3" up-travel and 7" down-travel) aligned the steering, and am about to go burn a mounting tab for the wheeling flag on the front bumper. I simply woke up, walked my ass outside, and got to work...alot can be done with ambition.

the truck needs a new motor soon (maybe I'm being paranoid about it, but it has zero balls compared to my brother's 4.0, and If it's getting a new motor it may as well be a H.O.). this won't be until spring after all bills are payed off.

next change of the day...I sold a bunch of parts this morning that I didn't expect to get sold. puts me positive money for the month. at least I'm not buying on credit.

cut up the cards.

I haven't made a wheeling trip with NAXJA since I joined back in 04. Either I didn't have any extra money that couldn't be put into bills/loans/etc or the Jeep wasn't ready. It may not be fun to not go wheeling, but $250 for a day of fun is pretty expensive when you're broke. And when you've got debts at 21, $250 extra in a month is a great thing to use to make more than the minimum payments. When I got my first big married with child tax return ($4000), where'd it go? Not fun or wheeling, it went to the loan on my Jeep and paying off debts, buying a new car seat and stroller for the baby. As such, I paid off my 4 yr loan in less than 1.5 yrs. Saved a ton of interest. It'd probably save you more than $250 in interest if you put that $250 towards any sort of interest bearing debts.

BTW, I'm not some old guy telling you what to do, I'm only 26 and just speaking from experience; trust me, having sucky credit because of mess ups when you were 20 isn't fun. I had my first car loan get repo'd when it broke down and get impounded. I couldn't afford to fix it and tow it home. Maxed out my first credit card, took me 2 yrs to fix that. Now I'm just working on rebuilding my credit.

yea.

15k of debt at 21 and all of it being school loans is not the worst I could do *shrug*

urbanxj, don't have credit cards. cut up debit cards. deal cash, or check for bills. that's it...debit cards made me stupid with money, and cost me in overdraft fees...I cut them up and won't apply for a credit card, don't want one and I know it would get me in a big hole pretty quick.

thanks guys. I really just needed to kind of vent and see other points of view. the parts sale on sunday helped out alot, and the 87 MJ is mostly done, with whatever else it needs immediately being of a time-cost nature rather than $$$ out of pocket. I payed forward on the three basical bills that I actually have, and it looks like I'm selling more parts on thursday night so that will be more opportunity to pay the bills. at this rate, with what I have for parts, I probably will have what I owe the school payed off in a couple of months, and I will keep making the minimum payments on fafsa until I either make it big, or go back to school (in which case I will stop paying while attending school). just got switched to first shift at work too :D

Back