• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock heavy duty anchor points in 1988 cargo area?

fysho31

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know what these anchors are for in the rear of my 1988 XJ? They look stock and very heavy duty, but scratching my head to what they may have been for. Curious if anyone knows or has a guess.

20211122-150241.jpg

Untitled-picture.png
[/u[/IMG]

I have never seen such an option in an XJ, but their positioning suggests seat mounts. I wonder if someone put in something like an old CJ rear seat.

I have never seen such an option in an XJ, but their positioning suggests seat mounts. I wonder if someone put in something like an old CJ rear seat.

I really could not see them in the picture so had no idea what they might have been.
But that is a good guess.
Especially since I am almost positive that there was an aftermarket 3rd row seat available specifically for an XJ way back when.

Not a stock or optional feature. Extra seat is a good deduction.

Mine has tie down rings. I assumed they were for a cargo net, I have 2 bungie cords laced through them. I've never had the carpet up so I can't say what the mounts are like.

QEg9redl.jpg

Mine too - but as they're only pop-riveted through the carpet, I doubt the the floor is even reinforced at those points.

No, it is not. I had one pulled of using a ratchet strap.

Back