• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Scott McClellan's new book on his tenure at the White House.

Ecomike said:
Since 9/11 we have been much more focused and alert and watching out for such threats, and yet the Republicans have done nothing to properly guard our ports from such attacks, not anything like what they did with airport security. In fact they nearly sold our US ports and nearly turned over US port security to a bunch of Arabs in the UAI recently!!!

Takes time to build up that sort of (airport) security.

The Coast Guard is working on it, trust me, it's been my job since 9/14.

but like I said in the earlier post this war is being fought for one reason "he tried to kill my dad!"

Boatwrench said:
Takes time to build up that sort of (airport) security.

The Coast Guard is working on it, trust me, it's been my job since 9/14.

but like I said in the earlier post this war is being fought for one reason "he tried to kill my dad!"

Glad to hear that we are not totally asleep at the wheel again! But seriously, the amount of money going into port security (and into the Coast Guard budget) is a joke compared to the scale of the problem ( unless you add in the all the easedropping budget $$s the NSA spends), and compared to the money waisted in Iraq, it is shameful what they expect of the Coast Guard. You guys need a lot more authority and lot a more money in my opinion.

Second point (and I don't disaqgree with you on it) If that is, was true, why are we still fighting over there, since Sadam and many of his crew are dead now?

buschwhaked said:
Here is a list of quotes he and Dicky stated both before and after the invasion.

Which of those quotes do you think shows Bush stating that Saddam was involved with 9/11 or definitively stated that they had an ongoing tactical relationship?

Don't overwhelm me with bullshit, POINT IT OUT

ehall said:
...definitively stated that they had an ongoing tactical relationship?

This is just one of quotes I found that directly answered that question. There are more. It doesn't take that long to read either. Chill out BTW.

"His regime has had high-level contacts with al Qaeda going back a decade and has provided training to al Qaeda terrorists." - Remarks by the Vice President at the Air National Guard Senior Leadership Conference, White House (12/2/2002) - BushOnIraq.com

ehall said:
. . . Don't overwhelm me with bullshit, POINT IT OUT

um, didn't you do that with your list of Where As's and Resolutions?

Why don't you try reading it, it shouldn't be too overwhelming for someone of your intelligence.

Last edited:
buschwhaked said:
This is just one of quotes I found that directly answered that question. There are more. It doesn't take that long to read either. Chill out BTW.
First of all, I don't need somebody who goes around screaming that BUSH LIED!!11one to tell me to calm down.

Second, the quote you provided does not state that they had a operational relationship, it states ACCURATELY that Saddam and AQ had high-level CONTACTS during the past:

"His regime has had high-level contacts with al Qaeda going back a decade and has provided training to al Qaeda terrorists." - Remarks by the Vice President at the Air National Guard Senior Leadership Conference, White House (12/2/2002) - BushOnIraq.com

That has been documented already in this thread, including in the 9/11 Commission report excerpt which stated the same thing:

With the Sudanese regime acting as intermediary, Bin Ladin himself met with a senior Iraqi intelligence officer in Khartoum in late 1994 or early 1995. Bin Ladin is said to have asked for space to establish training camps, as well as assistance in procuring weapons, but there is no evidence that Iraq responded to this request. As described below, the ensuing years saw additional efforts to establish connections. There is also evidence that around this time Bin Ladin sent out a number of feelers to the Iraqi regime, offering some cooperation. None are reported to have received a significant response. According to one report, Saddam Hussein’s efforts at this time to rebuild relations with the Saudis and other Middle Eastern regimes led him to stay clear of Bin Ladin. In mid-1998, the situation reversed; it was Iraq that reportedly took the initiative. In March 1998, after Bin Ladin’s public fatwa against the United States, two al Qaeda members reportedly went to Iraq to meet with Iraqi intelligence. In July, an Iraqi delegation traveled to Afghanistan to meet first with the Taliban and then with Bin Ladin. Sources reported that one, or perhaps both, of these meetings was apparently arranged through Bin Ladin’s Egyptian deputy, Zawahiri, who had ties of his own to the Iraqis. In 1998, Iraq was under intensifying U.S. pressure, which culminated in a series of large air attacks in December. Similar meetings between Iraqi officials and Bin Ladin or his aides may have occurred in 1999 during a period of some reported strains with the Taliban. According to the reporting, Iraqi officials offered Bin Ladin a safe haven in Iraq. Bin Ladin declined, apparently judging that his circumstances in Afghanistan remained more favorable than the Iraqi alternative. The reports describe friendly contacts and indicate some common themes in both sides’ hatred of the United States. But to date we have seen no evidence that these or the earlier contacts ever developed into a collaborative operational relationship. Nor have we seen evidence indicating that Iraq cooperated with al Qaeda in developing or carrying out any attacks against the United States.

I will have to look through my archives about the extent of any training that Saddam's regime may have provided to AQ terrorists directly, if you want to challenge it.

Bush knew no Iraq link pre-9/11: report

November 23, 2005 - 1:06PM

US President George W Bush was informed 10 days after the September 11, 2001 attacks that US intelligence had no proof of links between Iraq and this act of terror, The National Journal reported today. Citing government documents as well as past and present Bush administration officials, the magazine said the president was briefed on September 21, 2001 that evidence of cooperation between Iraq and the al-Qaeda terrorist network was insufficient.
Bush was also informed that there was some credible information about contacts between Saddam Hussein and al-Qaeda that showed that the Iraqi dictator had tried to establish surveillance over the group, according to the report.
Saddam Hussein believed the radical Islamic network represented a threat for his secular regime.
Little additional evidence has emerged over the past four years that could contradict the CIA conclusion about a lack of a collaborative relationship between al-Qaeda and Iraq, the Journal quotes a high-level government official as saying.
The magazine believes the evidence raises yet more questions about the administration's use of intelligence in the run up to the war in Iraq.

Source:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/bush-knew-no-iraq-link-pre911-report/2005/11/23/1132703230171.html

Back