• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon Trip

NoCoastFocus

NAXJA Forum User
The players...(minus Marc)
Rubicon006.jpg

We camped the first night at the soup bowl and we got a lot of crazy footage. Once I figure out how to upload/post video I will get some of it on here. Here is Nate and David. Nate ran the con in this rig...
DSC01857.jpg

The usual suspects, Davids JK and my XJ...
Rubicon036.jpg

Zach's ZJ...
Rubicon040.jpg

Matt's JK...
Rubicon011.jpg

and Marc's YJ...
DSC01746.jpg

Nate and his pooch...
DSC01770.jpg

Paisley
Rubicon032.jpg

There were some passengers that went along for the ride as well.
We arrived at the trailhead around 11 am on Friday morning. There were alot of people towing their overly-built rigs to the trail. There were alot of Bronco's and Yota's. Scott, my friend, couldn't believe how many Toyota's were on the trail. We camped the first night at soup bowl and we got to see alot of action.
DSC01728.jpg

I specifically remember Marc trying Soup Bowl and not having alot of luck...when a well-built CJ came up and asked if he could run the kitchen sink. He walked right up it and we were all pretty stunned. It was definitely a humbling moment for Marc.
DSC01744.jpg

We drank all our beer :mad: camped, and headed to the box the next morning. Marc did a pretty good job at it but took the easy route after his limited slip in the front didn't help his cause.
DSC01763.jpg

After the box, we somehow lost Marc in translation. We pushed on and Nate punctured an inner sidewall so we replaced the tire...
Rubicon042.jpg

After a few more hours Zach ripped a control arm of going down little sluice I believe. Scott was kind enough to weld...
Rubicon090.jpg

After a dusty few days and no beer we camped our last night at Rubicon Springs. The night was rather lang since there was no beer!!! :shoot: The rest is history. Everyone made it out safely and the ride home was one to remember. I got pulled over on the drive home. The cop was nice enough not to tow my rig away. I went to the DMV thursday before I left for the con. I got a paper that said I passed my test for my CA drivers license. They also punched a hole in my CO drivers license. To make a long story short, the cop said I was driving illegally because my CA license was still processing. He gave me a ticket and told me to just prove to the judge that I was licensed at that time. :Cartman:
Anyway, the trip was great and you can see alot more of the pics here...
http://s334.photobucket.com/albums/m408/sbrenken/
http://s349.photobucket.com/albums/q374/MBATF/Rubicon2008/

hey fyi he didnt even touch little sluice. Little sluice is the "box" he ripped his control arm off on big sluice. To bad you guys didnt stay at the little sluice because the pirates and i ran middle sluice and that was so off the charts hardcore! huge rocks tight passage ways and a "thinny" diff cover on my dana 60 trying to ruin my day!

HTeK said:

thinny is a what we use to describe the stock dana 60 rear diff cover. its barely thicker than sheet metal. A thicky is a stock dana 60 front because it is about twice as thick as a thinny cover. You xj guys might not under stand because you guys dont tend to run big enough tires for 60s :moon:

Offroadjunkie said:
thinny is a what we use to describe the stock dana 60 rear diff cover. its barely thicker than sheet metal. A thicky is a stock dana 60 front because it is about twice as thick as a thinny cover. You xj guys might not under stand because you guys dont tend to run big enough tires for 60s :moon:
My D35 works fine for my 37s. Why would I want a D60?:confused:

Thanks for sharing those pics. But I'm still trying to figure out why people are calling Old Sluice the Middle Sluice, been wheeling up there a lot and have never heard anyone call It that, whatever works for you I guess.

SeansXJ said:
Thanks for sharing those pics. But I'm still trying to figure out why people are calling Old Sluice the Middle Sluice, been wheeling up there a lot and have never heard anyone call It that, whatever works for you I guess.

Since it's located between Little and Big, it should be called something like "medium sluice", or "just right sluice"...

Sheeesh, I miss one summer up there in 6 or so years and everyone is changing the lingo around.

"Old Sluice" has more character though. You can't take the old out, I mean it earned that name.

Back