• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Remi aka Kejtar aka Kevlar aka Ketchup aka Postmaster General... and plenty others ;)

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
Weekend came faster for me then normal as I have been stuck in exile in cold regions of the US this past week (and have 3 more trips just like it ahead of me). In any case I wanted to take a moment and introduce myself....

Hi, my name is Remi and I'm a.... jeepaholic.... I got my first XJ when I was in 11th grade. It was the 2.8L POS... I didn't know how to do anything on it.... but I slowly learned to change oil and throughout the years and many jeeps (I currently have my jeep #3 and #5) I have learned to do pretty much everything (with the exception of engine work... I'll go as deep as an oil pump or rear main or valve cover gasket but that's it).

What NAXJA means to me - NAXJA is the place where I have made the best of friends. Friends who at a drop of a hat will drop everything and come to my help (or help of others). I have learned to appreciate our lands much better (I have had the opportunity to travel to places in my jeep that it'd be hard to get on foot in reasonable amount of time). I have learned to be self sufficient (anyone who has seen the spare parts I lug around will nod in agreement :D ). NAXJA introduced me to responsible wheeling, trail etiquette and courtesy and gave me many wonderful memories to which I keep adding.

What are my goals? My goals are accountability and growth. What does that mean? For example that means that if a member request of the BOD financial status, that status should be available in a timely manner. I am also looking to see support of continued growth (btw, by no means I'm saying that this is not going on, I just want to support it :) ) and influx of new members who love XJ's and MJ's just as the rest of us does. I know that this is a tall order as XJ's and MJ's are no longer made and their supply is dwindling.... that's why I believe that this has to a task that we all support.

Also I like that as a club and chapter we continuously support land use issues. I remember the discussions that I had with Ed Stevens back in the day about adopting a trail which in time turned into the current adopt a trail program that the chapter has done an amazing job with. I want to see the lands that we use to be left available for our children, our children s children and their children and... well you get the picture.

Ok.. my jeeps... first two confessions:
1. MY jeep #5 is a JK... I know.... JK.... well, to my defense it's 4 door and my wife has an easier time getting in and out of it as well as a baby seat is easier to put in and out (yup... in case some of you missed it... I'm a proud father of a 3 month baby girl!).
2. My XJ hasn't seen a trail for a year and a half now :( My new job is to blame for this to a degree as work travel has been crazy! I am hoping that this will change as I'm moving to a different department which will have a better travel schedule.

The work is also the reason why I have been more of a lurker on the forums in recent years (nearly 2.5) and posted rarely. I took a job which paid more and had some travel, unfortunately that some travel turned into a lot of travel. That made it hard to commit to anything. Now that things are settling down finally I can look forward to enjoy life again.

Lastly.... jeeps... I have healthy respect of jeeps of all shapes and sizes (ok, the IFS ones I will chuckle at but depending on situation I will say that unfortunately they do have a place on this planet...). My XJ sits on 35's with 4.88's, locked front and rear, caged, with an exo on the front and...... HERCULINER :) But you know what? Now that I look back, I think that I was the happiest on 33's with a moderate lift. I do enjoy tough trails but somehow they don't give me as much thrill as just exploring (hence the JK which isn't modified yet... ok, rock rails are not much of a mod). I believe in rigs that are built so that they can take you to the trail, through the trail and then take you back. Not that there is anything wrong with trailer queens, but I prefer that my vehicle makes the round trip on its own (though from time to time I am contemplating a trip to Alaska which means the XJ is going on a train as that's too long of a haul to just drive - takes too much vacation time).

In any case, if you took the time to read through all this text, thanks for your patience. Good luck to all of the candidates and go SoCal chapter! Which means, y'all buy or renew memberships!! We usually do pretty damn good on the contest so lets not slack off and show everyone who's the big dog around :) Btw, I am a member going on 13 years now....

I don't really want to have to do this but I feel the need to state that while you may have had some discussions with Ed about AAT it was me who actually took it the the point of setting up NAXJA's relationship with the SBNF (with guidance from Ed Stevens). I was president at the time and I was the one who signed the paperwork. I went to the initial runs, meetings, etc.

Yes you were... But you really don't want to get into who paved path for what and what was achieved by whom. The path to adopt a trail was paved for us (chapter) by Ed Stevens. You as chapter president were the person to finalize all of the agreements and work out the details that's true...

Ed provided the initial contact and guidance throughout the process, I am not going to say that is not true. I went on, if I recall, two scouting runs and a meeting prior to adoption. I also got together the paperwork, reviewed the agreement, signed it, and did a trail maintenance plan with Greg (I believe Ed was also there).

Since that time I have put in more hours than I can count into the program through AAT work, planning, and meetings (in fact I only started counting my individual hours at the 2013 fiscal year point).

And noone is saying you didnt do all that. But you were given the direction by Ed after discussions I had with him (over some screwed up shock mounts that he was rewelding for me).

To a degree I guess you're highlighting an important point of achieving a goal... If you have an idea its best at times to explore it, set the stage and then have the appropriate person complete it ;).

So for all that are reading - yes, Sequoia signed the final agreements, he went on the scouting runs (I recall having to winch a tree... But maybe I'm thinkg of the wrong run... Anyways...)

Edit - in case anyone is wondering... I think I can pee farther ;)

Last edited:
Back