• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reese Brakeman IV trailer brake controller

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
The Jeep I just bought has one of these installed. There was no manual or anything included when I got the Jeep, and I can't find a users guide - just an install guide - on line.

Anyone use one of these units, and if so, can you school me on the basics? I'm towing to the Cherokee Crawl in a few weeks.

The installation guide you found (I found this one on amazon) is the only thing you get with the controller.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/A1So2H3k0SL.pdf

The gain is how much braking force is applied to the trailer brakes and the sync is how early or late the trailer brakes are applied after the controller receives the brake switch signal from your brake pedal.

With your expected load and the maxed out towing capacity, the gain should be high. You want the trailer braking as much as possible because your new Jeep doesn't have heavy duty service brakes.

The other rule of thumb is that you want the trailer to brake first. You need to set up the sync so that you feel the trailer slightly pull the vehicle back before your service brakes start to slow you down. This keeps the trailer behind you instead of the trailer trying to push you before the trailer brakes come on.

I have a different brand in the RV, but those two functions are the same regardless of the manufacturer. Adjust the gain so that the trailer brakes aren't too soft (you don't feel it brake) and not too hard (the trailer is doing all the work) and adjust the sync so that the trailer brakes slightly before the vehicle does.

Those settings will be different based on the load on the trailer. It's something you'll have to do a practice run on or do when you're getting ready to leave.

Last edited:
Brake controllers aren't rocket science. The install guide explains pretty much all you should need. It even includes troubleshooting info.

Note the manual control paddle. That will engage the brakes as you slide it. This is helpful if the trailer starts to get a bit squirrelly (usually caused by improper weight distribution). Applying its brakes will help smooth it out (then you can pull over and fix the distribution problem).

Trailer loading and tow selection are pretty important.

Though I've towed heavy with a Cherokee, for towing at max they are less than ideal and trailer rental placed (for example) will not even rent you a car hauler if they know a tall vehicle will be on the trailer with a short light tow.
Longer is better.

Trailer loading should be such that the loaded CG is forward of the unloaded trailer CG, but not exceed max toungue weight. Consider a weight distributing hitch setup. It makes a huge difference. The basic ones jack the load from further up the trailer, and put it on the hitch, not on the ball.

Back