• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OME sport shocks

Marcelo73

NAXJA Forum User
A Bilstein 5100 kit cost around $300 and the OME sports $400. Here Bilstein is a well-known brand but OME almost unknown. How they compare with Bilsteins?

I have read several threads and most are good about both shocks.

I use my rig in city but no more than 30 miles per week. Then I can drive between 50 or 200 miles to the trails and play a lot with mud and sand.

Bilstein 5160 kit is about $700. I will no run the Baja-like races so maybe are overkill for me.

Any opinion, suggestion?

You can't go wrong with either of them. I have the OME and they are great but I don't think you can go wrong with the Bilstein's. I don't think there is a good reason for one over the other so it comes down to how much you want to spend. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the OME's again though.

I use to have OME long travel sports, the newer style ones with the black sheilds on them. Unfortunately I was stupid and got rid of them for some other ones when I got a new lift kit and regret it EVERY single day, by far the best riding shocks I've run so far. The long travels have plenty of length and are probly good for up to 5.5 inches of lift.

Its well worth the money, enough for me to want to get them again in the future. I've riden in jeeps with bilsteins and yes they are great shocks but I have so far seen 2 seperate failures of the shock shaft snapping under normal wheeling situations. They were not being beat on too hard and were completely out of the blue, from what I was told Bilstein would not warrenty them but they did give a discount on new ones.

OME's ride beautfully plain and simple, they also wheel great and did not fade out easily like cheaper shocks.. Highly reccomend them!!

I will not getting taller than 4.5 or 5". I want to run 32x11 without too much trimming.
Thanks for the answers. I guess I will try the OME. I bought the snorkel from ARB and the quality is top notch.

Australian made OME parts transport shipping costs to Montevideo are probably cheaper too, unless they have to go through the Panama canal. Maybe direct air is cheaper. Is Buenos Aires the major South American hub for such materials getting into Montevideo? Contact OME, (ARB), and see if they can box them up and send to you via air.

Australian made OME parts transport shipping costs to Montevideo are probably cheaper too, unless they have to go through the Panama canal. Maybe direct air is cheaper. Is Buenos Aires the major South American hub for such materials getting into Montevideo? Contact OME, (ARB), and see if they can box them up and send to you via air.

The Argentina's goverment puts a lot of restrictions for importing things. I don't think now it's a good time. Besides, when I asked prices for ARB lockers in Argentina, was cheaper take a fly to USA and buy there.

I didnt' think about buying directly from ARB Australia. Good tip, thanks.

A Bilstein 5100 kit cost around $300 and the OME sports $400. Here Bilstein is a well-known brand but OME almost unknown. How they compare with Bilsteins?

I have read several threads and most are good about both shocks.

I use my rig in city but no more than 30 miles per week. Then I can drive between 50 or 200 miles to the trails and play a lot with mud and sand.

Bilstein 5160 kit is about $700. I will no run the Baja-like races so maybe are overkill for me.

Any opinion, suggestion?
Can't go wrong with either company, i wouldn't call OME unknown though. They've been making suspension systems for years and are damn good at what they do! The Nitro sports should be a good middle ground between the 5100's and 5160's.

Can't go wrong with either company, i wouldn't call OME unknown though. They've been making suspension systems for years and are damn good at what they do! The Nitro sports should be a good middle ground between the 5100's and 5160's.

When I call OME 'unknown' I was meaning in my country (third world). I have reading about ARB long time before I bought my XJ.

I run the long OME nitro sport shocks on my XJ, the new style with the black dust boot..

they ride great, and react very well to speed change and road conditions.

Last edited:
Back