• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long arms with frame stiffeners

Erics2000xj

NAXJA Forum User
Does anybody have this combination? If so, what brands are they, how did you get them to work, and pics if possible?

I am wanting to go with the IRO long arm kit and some sort of uni-frame stiffeners probably the ruff stuff ones. It appears they will only interfere on the bottom of the frame rail where the cross member attaches.

:cheers:
Eric

I think that all you would need to do, would be to drill the holes out in the frame stiffeners where the crossmember bolts to the frame. Do this before you attach them to the frame, then burn 'em in. You could then attach the crossmember with no trouble at all. Real easy, or did i interpret your question wrong? lol -B

I am running the Rustys 6.5in long arm and stiff from HD Offroad Eng. I just needed to pre drill extra oversized holes in the stiff before I welded them in. No other problems. From the looks on the IRock web site it looks pretty much the same 3 holes on the bottom of the frame.

Bill

Go with HD Offroad Engineering for your stiffeners. He is a forum supporter and has great customer service. I just bought shackle relocation from him and getting ready to get some stiffeners.

I have the RC long arms, and hd offroad stiffeners, it was a nightmare to put the long arms on, because the side plates dont line up well.

With the IRO arms, I would just weld the outer part of the crossmember to the rails.

I went with the TnT Frame stiffeners and their long arm kit, and had no problems with the install or there after on the trail.

Last edited:
I have the RC long arms, and hd offroad stiffeners, it was a nightmare to put the long arms on, because the side plates dont line up well.

With the IRO arms, I would just weld the outer part of the crossmember to the rails.

How do you like your RC long arms? Any flex limitations with the radius arm set up? It was a toss up between those and the IRO.

Thanks for everyone elses input so far.

The Rc kit is sweet.

Only complaint is how low they hang, and the flex joints wear easy. (But they sent me new ones.)

And trust me, no flex issues. My shocks bottom out first.
78004119.jpg

I've got TnT's stiffeners and RE's LA's. They work well together, but it was a huge PITA to plasma cut all the holes for the LA skid, braces, etc. out of the stiffeners... Well worth it in my opinion. Combined with the LA skid/braces, there's hardly any unibody flex at all. You can still hear some noise when it gets ridiculously twisted up, but even then I can open and close all my doors and hatch with no issues.

The Rc kit is sweet.

Only complaint is how low they hang, and the flex joints wear easy. (But they sent me new ones.)

And trust me, no flex issues. My shocks bottom out first.
78004119.jpg

Looks like Hollister, CA. to me at the bottom of truck hill. Way to many trips there. HAHAHA

I made my own frame stiffeners and used the Rock Krawler 3-link. Since it has a U shaped bracket that fits around the frame I had to do some grinding, cutting and welding but they are on there and I haven't had a problem.

In response to 95REDXJ:

I live in northern Idaho so I dont see to many rocks but we have a lot of mountain trails with down trees and things like that.
I would say that I am a moderate wheeler in the scheme of things

Cal mounted my TNT frame stiffeners on my XJ which already had a Rock Krawler 3 link longarm. We just cut some of the stiffener to fit around the long arm brackets.

I had an experience that put me onto stiffeners instantly. I had mine on Chicken rock in Death Valley and for a moment had one front left and one rear right wheels off the ground at the same time. At that moment my roof rack bolts popped at the two opposite corners to the wheels that were off the ground. That was enough to convince me that frame flex was VERY much a problem.

I never worry about frame flex anymore!

Back