• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

junkyard upgrades thread condensed

you can do it without hack n tap if you get the correct front shaft.
nope. You might be able to get away with bolting the CV joint to your regular U-joint yoke for a while but it's real :gee: and definitely guaranteed to explode at the worst possible moment.

im lookin at a 79 wj with d44s will these swap into my 93 xj? 4.0 auto been lookin and cant find any specs for the 79 or any lists of parts swap. can pick up the whole running rig for $1000
79 WJ? :huh:
WJ with d44s? :huh:

Talking about a FSJ! but didnt they come with AMC model 20's in 1979

so :huh:

They aren't a direct swap, you'll have to weld new mounts on - also will have to regear probably, since those waggies came with goofy low gears, 2.73 or so from what I've read.

They aren't a direct swap, you'll have to weld new mounts on - also will have to regear probably, since those waggies came with goofy low gears, 2.73 or so from what I've read.

I think in 1979 the gears were 3.31 with the 360 and TH400 trans.

iirc they changed to 2.73 in in the early 80's

not that it really matters, both ratio's will be way to high for an XJ deserving of a waggy axle swap..

Anybody know when they switched to a d44 rear? They switched from a d27/d30 in the late 60's to a D44 front end, but Im pretty sure the majority of them got the amc20 out back. My 91 has a a d44 though.

I have an 89 XJ D35 non C clip. I have access to a complete 2004 Crown Vic's rear disc brakes all for only $100.

I know the early to mid 90's are a near bolt on conversion but will this '04 work? Has anybody done a similar conversion or know the difference between 90s and mid 00s rear disc brakes?

Last edited:
Back