• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How equiped for the rubicon trail do I need to be?

The jeep on 235s. I'm almost tempted in going with just to see how it does..

Me personally I wouldn't hit the trail with anything less then 33s sliders and at least one locker/front HD diff cover oo and a t case skid of some sort.that is depending on how far you want to go playing around Wentworth or loon lake you can have less, but past the loon/Wentworth split

Seems like I'm pretty much at the recommended minimum here. Do you guys notice any weak points I should fix before running the rubicon? I have a buddy in a similarly equipped TJ rubicon that has a winch and plenty of recovery gear. We both are fairly inexperienced and I'm not concerned about damage here and there.

33" BFG
D30 Spartan Lunchbox/D44 LSD
ZJ Steering
4.5" Short Arm RC Lift
Sliders, Heavy duty bumpers F/R
Steering, T-Case, and Gas Tank Skids
Full interior Cage and 4pt harnesses

I'm also going to be bringing spare D30 axle shafts but I'm not sure whether to pull some stock ones or get chromoly. I'm also bringing a spare drag link

You guys should be fine. Just don't forget your camera!

I did it on 31x10.50's with F&R aussies, factory skids, rustys eng-trans skid (AW4), 4.5 lift and chromo front axles with a Dana 44 rear. I didnt run little sluice. Had a great time.

John

I plan on running the Rubicon trail. Tell me if you think I would make it. Here is my set up:
4.5" long arm
33's
dana 30 with lock right
trussed ford 8.8
rock sliders
skid plates (steering, gas tank, t-case, LCA brackets)
4.10 gears

Things I want to do before I go:
one ton steering
Bumpers front and rear
locker in rear

What spare parts should I bring other than shaft and drive shaft?

Last edited:
both front axle shafts, driveshafts, U joints, unit bearing, spare tire, adequate spare tools, something to jack up the front axle safely, spare steering and suspension bolts (like the ones that hold the unit bearing on , leaf bolts, control arms bolts, trakcbar bolts, shock bolts) . I also carry a spare pitman arm and Power steering high pressure lines.
sensors, vacuum line, heater hose, and things of the sort.

both front axle shafts, driveshafts, U joints, unit bearing, spare tire, adequate spare tools, something to jack up the front axle safely, spare steering and suspension bolts (like the ones that hold the unit bearing on , leaf bolts, control arms bolts, trakcbar bolts, shock bolts) . I also carry a spare pitman arm and Power steering high pressure lines.

You covered pretty much everything. I should just have you come with me!

You covered pretty much everything. I should just have you come with me!

Jon needs 1 ton axles just because of all the spare parts he carries. :doh:

A friend of a friend drove a bone stock samurai from Loon Lake all the way to Buck Island Lake a few weeks ago. Its not what you have, it is how you drive it.

Basically know your vehicle's limits, take it easy, and don't be afraid to back up and take an easier line. Nothing ruins a fun Rubicon trip like being stupid and breaking something.

I ran it last September in my 97. 4.5" RE lift, 33x10.50 BFG KM2, Spartan's F/R, Engine/tranny skid, t-case skid, LCA skids, stout F/R bumpers with winch F/R, SYE, yadda yadda yadda.

Went solo with a buddy for a spotter- first trip on the trail ever. I've wheeled lots for 20+ years, but with minimal crawling experience. That said, what did me in was a stock motor mount. Too long of a story to type, but a good beer drinking tale to be told. :D

That said, I had spare front axle shafts, spare rear shaft, spare driveline, fluids, belt, hose (with repair kit) tools, etc... Hell, I even had a spare motor mount- but changed those trialside sucks.

My best advice- lockers and armor. You're gonna need it and you won't regret it. Fresh belts/hose/fluids.

I'm heading back this fall for round 2, and won't be taking as many parts. I've upgraded quite a bit, and learned what I need/don't need.

PS- zip ties and baby wipes are your friends.

Back