• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HID Projector Retro fit 2000 XJ

Alright, updates...

The new donor housings came in on friday, had them de-chromed and pulled apart in short time. After the kids were put to bed, i went to cutting the lip of the housing off and glued it to the retro'd housings.

cyyQQWy.jpg

After it was dry, I attacked it with JB Kwik (This stuff has changed my life)

ZgOkt34.jpg

Aimed and leveled the lights, and locked them in place with some SteelStik.

PNqENv2.jpg

Had to add this, since TRS dealt with many of my asinine questions.

oom3n3C.jpg

Shrouds installed, Little more JB Kwik to lock them down.

Ciz3r8O.jpg

Bixenon solenoid wires terminated and grommet installed. Also used one of the new Goretex patches on the top side. Drilled a 3/16" hole and stuck it on, not much more to that.

xdHhzEk.jpg

Threw on the butyl, Pressed the lenses in. (Tip: Make sure you pay attention to the "TOP" marking on the lens, not a fun fix)

neGgOvH.jpg

FYCAoiY.jpg

Backside shot, for those who are into it

iVRzX7m.jpg

Tomorrow I prep the truck for the housings, will need some drilling and overall clearancing. Definitely looking forward to this.

Last edited:
Finally installed the lights today. Have a few things I need to fix (High beams cutout when turned on, dash lights suddenly do not work, lights do not shut off by the switch, etc) but they are amazing otherwise. Not bad for untouched B Stock MD2S projectors. I think i will have to pull the housing retaining ring and paint that black, it sticks out like a sore thumb in my eye.

Anyways, onto the pics...

RS4yLAx.jpg

OynoFEW.jpg

wbtErIm.jpg

vkZCRYR.jpg

Driver's view

0jF5Ybg.jpg

Can't say enough about TRS and the Morimoto line as a whole. Thank you TRS for listening to all my questions that probably drove you insane.

I've retrofitted hundred's (literally) of headlights & only in the Jeep world does everyone keep raving about how great Trucklites are. So I bought a set the other day just to test out.

Well folks, they are definitely brighter & better then stock but Trucklites have NOTHING on a proper HID projector retrofit (not to be confused with just dropping HID bulbs into a stock headlight).

HID's are brighter, & have a nice smooth even light distribution from side to side. The Trucklites are uneven in output (sorta splotchy like an HID plug-n-play kit does). The distribution has weird artifacts & hot spots.

FYI -The Retrofit Source will be releasing a 5x6 sealed beam retrofit kit in the Feb-March-ish which will make the retrofitting process much easier (although these are pretty dang easy anyway).

Regardless, Nice job to the OP & welcome to the lighting addiction!

Thats great. Another person with SUPER BRIGHT headlights that doesnt care about blinding aproaching traffic. Even cars with OEM HID headlights are retina burning bright. Makes me wish i had my 50in light bar hooked up to blind them back with.

Thats great. Another person with SUPER BRIGHT headlights that doesnt care about blinding aproaching traffic. Even cars with OEM HID headlights are retina burning bright. Makes me wish i had my 50in light bar hooked up to blind them back with.
Looks like a nice sharp low cut off to me, pull your panties out of your butt.

JohnX - you clearly doent understand the difference between a Plug-N-Play drop in HID kit & an OEM style projector HID retrofit.

The retrofit you see in this thread is the same set-up that nearly all high end cars like BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes, etc have come with from the factory. A retrofit utilizing a projector is designed to NOT blind oncoming drivers yet put considerably more light on the ground (where you need it) compared to a halogen light.

Last edited:
JohnX - you clearly doent understand the difference between a Plug-N-Play drop in HID kit & an OEM style projector HID retrofit.

The retrofit you see in this thread is the same set-up that nearly all high end cars like BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes, etc have come with from the factory. A retrofit utilizing a projector is designed to NOT blind oncoming drivers yet put considerably more light on the ground (where you need it) compared to a halogen light.

I think you meant old stick up his butt josh9mile. JohnX is PRO HID

vkZCRYR.jpg

0jF5Ybg.jpg

You know why a projector has a "cut off"? It's to keep the light out of on coming traffic's eyes. Look... No light above the cut off... It's Magic!

Some people just don't get it, I guess.

I get it, and I can SEE everything on the roads now. Hell of a lot better than the ECE H4 housings that came with the truck.

Back