• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical Upgrade: Battery Cable Kit Recommendations?

F.N.G.

NAXJA Forum User
Vehicle: 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

I am looking for some people in the forum that make upgrade kits.
My alternator is on it's way out, due to water crossings.
This will be my second alternator in as many years.
So I just relocated my alternator to the AC spot up top.
Figured this would be a good time to upgrade to a 160A alternator since I have to by a new one anyways. I have a winch and accessories that could benefit from the 160 amps, rather than the 117A oem alternator.
Which leads be to the wiring.

I will need to upgrade cables and fuses, most likely 2 gauge.
They are old as it is it could use replacing, and with a 160A Alternator upgrading to heavier gauge will be a necessity.
I remember there were some people in these forums that made some wiring kits; with the cables, fuses and military terminals.
Did a search, couldn't track done anyone with recent activity in the forums.

So if any of you have some recommendations of people that make the kits, I am open to suggestions.
I don't have the time to be making them myself right now, and would rather just buy the kit from someone that does good work, and is a forum member rather than a big company.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
5-90 (Jon) used to make them. I am not sure if he still is or not. He hasn't been on the forum in over a year though.

If you do decide to do the cables yourself, I've had good success using a hammer and chisel to pound a divot into the center of the cable lug. Pretty much does the same job as a cable crimp tool.

Thank you for the info guys.

I would love to make them myself, but I don't have the time, tools or a workspace.
Been working on my Jeep in the driveway or my friends driveways spring, summer and fall.
But in New England Winter can make it a bit more difficult.
And I've tried working on Jeep projects in the house, never ends well.
That being said I did just do an Alternator relocation on December 15th in 40+ degree weather. That is usually unheard of this time of year where I live.

So I was hoping to cop-out and simply by a plug and play bolt on quick fix.

So I was hoping to cop-out and simply by a plug and play bolt on quick fix.

http://custombatterycables.com/application/jeep_cherokee_cables.htm

Its exactly that. A bolt on quick fix.

Jon Kelley would be the way to go personalty for buying or make your own based on his information.

I like my mil terminals and 4 gauge. Some people go with even thicker wire. Its all up to you. Just know I don't care what anyone says , unless you have specific electrical needs or your existing is corroded, you will not notice a difference. The reason you hear so much about this being a great upgrade is because most are corroded.

Thank you all for the help and to those that recommend to seek out Jon Kelly at "Kelly's Works in Progress".
I dropped him a line, and we'll see if he's still in business.
I'll keep you all posted if he is.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Just got an auto-response email from Jon Kelly.
He is definitely out of commission at the present time.
So for the time being since he is not an option, I'll have to look elsewhere.

Thanks Catch and Polar,
"CustomBatteryCables.com" will have to be my next move.

if they don't work out for you send me a PM. I have some 2/0 and some lugs laying around the shop and could make something up with them after the new year.

Back