• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 read disc, ZJ, exploder or crown vic?

I dont get the whole needing everything on the jeep being from a jeep thing. TO ME, if you accidently ask for rear rotors for a 98 cherokee, and they hand you drums, and you walk out the door with those drums, youve got other issues...

Besides, the same thing would happen with GC rear discs, you'd still need to remember a year/make/model differant than what you drive, and jeep doesnt make the pads or rotors, so this really doesnt make sense to me.

I agree about with kastein about the junkyard pad thing. Discretion, its used everyday, might as well use it here.

EDIT: I say this, because ive ran into similar arguments from my father, he didnt like using non jeep parts either, I reminded him, that lift kit, those tires, those lights... ALL NON JEEP.

I dont get the whole needing everything on the jeep being from a jeep thing. TO ME, if you accidently ask for rear rotors for a 98 cherokee, and they hand you drums, and you walk out the door with those drums, youve got other issues...

Besides, the same thing would happen with GC rear discs, you'd still need to remember a year/make/model differant than what you drive, and jeep doesnt make the pads or rotors, so this really doesnt make sense to me.

I agree about with kastein about the junkyard pad thing. Discretion, its used everyday, might as well use it here.

EDIT: I say this, because ive ran into similar arguments from my father, he didnt like using non jeep parts either, I reminded him, that lift kit, those tires, those lights... ALL NON JEEP.

Its based on the premise of had Jeep decided to use Disk brakes on the XJ these are most likely the ones they would have used. They used the ZJ brakes on KJs and TJs as well. Yes the pads and rotors aren't "Jeep" but they are made to the specs of the OEM parts designed by Jeep.

It comes from the same idea that someone wouldn't normally drop a chevy 350 into a Mustang. Some would even consider that sacrilegious. Since the ZJ rear disk brakes remained unchanged since they were used I can ask for the rear brake parts from the same year ZJ as my 97.

But you are right only so much can be "Jeep" when modifying these rigs until nothing left is Jeep almost. But the way I think of it is, if Jeep was going to do this, this might be how they would do it and the parts they would use, but thats just me. Sometimes it takes a little more effort to get the job done but I like it.

Wrong, they did not use ZJ brakes on KJs (KJ ones bolt directly onto an XJ 8.25, ZJ ones require slight grinding) and I don't believe they used them on TJs either.

There's no rational or logical reason to use ZJ ones as opposed to anything else, except on 8.25s/35s because they bolt up more directly.

It comes from the same idea that someone wouldn't normally drop a chevy 350 into a Mustang. Some would even consider that sacrilegious.

Thats called being closed minded. Put whatever you want and can fit into your mustang! OR your jeep!

Some people disown their children for dating outside their race, doesnt make it right. Opinions change and evolve.

Wrong, they did not use ZJ brakes on KJs (KJ ones bolt directly onto an XJ 8.25, ZJ ones require slight grinding) and I don't believe they used them on TJs either.

There's no rational or logical reason to use ZJ ones as opposed to anything else, except on 8.25s/35s because they bolt up more directly.

Haha I work at a Jeep dealer and have worked with all three. They are 98% identical between all three with only the slightest bit of differences i.e. the grinding of the ZJ caliper brackets to fit the 8.25 when the KJs are already done. The flange pattern on the TJ Dana 35 and Dana 44 are identical to the ZJ Dana 35 and Dana 44A. You can swap those brake parts around all day almost no major issues.

Thats called being closed minded. Put whatever you want and can fit into your mustang! OR your jeep!

Some people disown their children for dating outside their race, doesnt make it right. Opinions change and evolve.

Way to make things racist.

It isn't closed minded. I was just saying that some like to stay within the same category or brand name while some enjoy stepping outside the box. I never said it COULDN'T or SHOULDN'T be done, I was simply explaining why someone would want to stick with Jeep parts if they could.

Haha I work at a Jeep dealer and have worked with all three. They are 98% identical between all three with only the slightest bit of differences i.e. the grinding of the ZJ caliper brackets to fit the 8.25 when the KJs are already done. The flange pattern on the TJ Dana 35 and Dana 44 are identical to the ZJ Dana 35 and Dana 44A. You can swap those brake parts around all day almost no major issues.
How do you call them the same when one requires grinding before it bolts on while the other doesn't?

Very close, sure, the same, no. Unless they ground em all to fit at the factory/dealer, which I doubt.

Good to know about the TJ ones though. I checked and it was only the 03 and up high end models as far as I can tell? They're shared with the KJ but different from the ZJ ones, at least for the rotors, pads are shared with the ZJ and KJ, I didn't cross ref any of the other parts. I wonder why my data says the rotors aren't shared across all 3 models.

I got as far as pulling the axleshafts on a WJ a while ago (was after the disc setup) before realizing those have a completely different bolt pattern, in fact iirc, they are a non c clip rear, because I couldn't find any C clips and had to remove bearing retainer plates to get the axleshafts out. I then noticed that the bolt pattern was also different.

Way to make things racist.

It isn't closed minded. I was just saying that some like to stay within the same category or brand name while some enjoy stepping outside the box. I never said it COULDN'T or SHOULDN'T be done, I was simply explaining why someone would want to stick with Jeep parts if they could.

My grand mother swears she isnt racist, so you'll have to take it up with her...

Busting someones balls for swapping a stock ford motor, for a hi-performance gm motor IS closed minded. I understand your trying to explain it, and these arent your beleifs, That doesnt matter though. It's closed minded, and thats the main issue. Ive never been offended by what anyone does to their jeep, this includes ricer carbon fiber scoops, or fart can exhausts. Their ride, their decision. BUT YES, if your the type who gets offended and butthurt everytime he see's a rice rocket, or x, or y. YOUR CLOSED MINDED. Get over it.

My grand mother swears she isnt racist, so you'll have to take it up with her...

Busting someones balls for swapping a stock ford motor, for a hi-performance gm motor IS closed minded. I understand your trying to explain it, and these arent your beleifs, That doesnt matter though. It's closed minded, and thats the main issue. Ive never been offended by what anyone does to their jeep, this includes ricer carbon fiber scoops, or fart can exhausts. Their ride, their decision. BUT YES, if your the type who gets offended and butthurt everytime he see's a rice rocket, or x, or y. YOUR CLOSED MINDED. Get over it.

Again never had a problem with it, just explaining how someone would prefer otherwise to answer the inquirer's question. Finding fault would mean I was close minded, choosing a different option however is not. I was explaining why someone would choose Jeeps parts over an easier to adapt other manufacturer part since I chose this option. I do invite you to re-read my first and prior posts to verify that there was no fault being found on my part. And for the record I am running a Ford Taurus Fan, Volvo fan relay, and BMW coolant temp switch on my Jeep because those were the absolute best parts to adapt from other cars and Jeep never made a part that I could readily find

Last edited:
ok so does anyone know the part number of the stock TJ spacer?

I got mine from quadratec http://www.quadratec.com/products/52427_0001.htm

Though I will say since the bolt pattern on the TJ plates are different from the XJ D44, it does take welding up the holes and re-drilling it with the right pattern. In retrospect it would have been much easier to just buy the Teraflex spacer ring. The Teraflex spacer is part number 8636 I believe.

I got mine from quadratec http://www.quadratec.com/products/52427_0001.htm

Though I will say since the bolt pattern on the TJ plates are different from the XJ D44, it does take welding up the holes and re-drilling it with the right pattern. In retrospect it would have been much easier to just buy the Teraflex spacer ring. The Teraflex spacer is part number 8636 I believe.

this?
http://www.teraflex.biz/spacer-for-ford-disc-brake-kit.html
i'll put that spacer up against the axle seal/bearing and then the retaining plate over that to hold the axle shaft in, correct? maybe tac weld it together

and this is the entire kit i want right? 80s XJ
http://www.teraflex.biz/rear-disc-brake-kit-jeep-early-80-s-model.html

Last edited:
this?

i'll put that spacer up against the axle seal/bearing and then the retaining plate over that to hold the axle shaft in, correct? maybe tac weld it together

You got the idea and that looks like the right spacer. From outer end moving to center/ spline end of the shaft it would go.

retainer plate
spacer
seal
bearing
bearing retainer

I run the teraflex spacers and don't really see a need to tack them to the retainer plate, although I know a lot of guys do. It really isn't that big a deal.

You got the idea and that looks like the right spacer. From outer end moving to center/ spline end of the shaft it would go.
retainer plate
spacer
seal
bearing
bearing retainer
I run the teraflex spacers and don't really see a need to tack them to the retainer plate, although I know a lot of guys do. It really isn't that big a deal.

well..... i just ordered 2

So I just looked at the extra set of axles that came with the jeep.... The spacers are already on them. I think
6B6CDF31-EC28-471F-87FB-415EFC56B559-11126-0000089F06EBD523.jpg

A7AE91F1-79FF-45FF-ABAE-985936F8F84F-11126-0000089F0CD0CC70.jpg

Kinda hard to see but there is a ring between the plate and axle seal.... Guessing it the spacer I need?

indeed it looks to be the spacer.
having had my axles out more times than i'd wish to admit, i do highly suggest tack welding them to the retainer plate.

Does anyone have the measurements on the spacer?
I talked to the guy who bought the axles and he doesn't rember him saying anything about them having spacers or extra parts.

Does anyone have the measurements on the spacer?
I talked to the guy who bought the axles and he doesn't rember him saying anything about them having spacers or extra parts.
there is no other reason to have the spacer there other than a disk brake swap. The spacer looks to be the right thickness as well. It isn't a super critical thickness, the seal can make up for some error.

Back