• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Costco, impact wrench, and an abused locking wheel key

rocknxj said:
Here's what came up with, and mind you, I have had like 4 Beam and cokes this evening. BUY AMERICAN and expect the worst when you pay for cheap crap.

Seems like reasonable thoughts to me. Of course good luck finding anything that's still made in America. Oddly, your thoughts seem better collected after a few drinks.

rocknxj said:
Here's what came up with, and mind you, I have had like 4 Beam and cokes this evening. BUY AMERICAN and expect the worst when you pay for cheap crap.

Go America. Buy American. Go America.

i agree about buying american and like that you took partial responsibility for buying cheap locks.

question, isnt costco american and was the tire installer american?

Go back to Costco and talk to the tire shop manager. Took my 02 intrepid there. They busted 3 of the four center caps. Tech was like oh well, they're only cosmetic.....Called and spoke with manager next day. He says bring in receipt, they'll cover it. $87.00 check a little while later, all was good. Problem was, managers all leave at 6PM, techs work till 8PM. No supervision during last 2 hours of work= anything goes....
BTW, the check was a corporate Costco check, so I do not think the tire shop is a concession; therefore, any problem with the tire shop manager, you should be able to talk to store manager.

Blaine B. said:
That's a bad attitude. Considering it's your vehicle, not his. Maybe you should right faggot on his forehead and say it's only cosmetic.

I just pissed my pants laughing at that,good thing I wasn't drinking or my monitor would be fubar!!!:laugh: :roflmao: :laugh: :roflmao: :laugh: :roflmao: :laugh3:

Blaine B. said:
That's a bad attitude. Considering it's your vehicle, not his. Maybe you should right faggot on his forehead and say it's only cosmetic.
That's one to store for future use right there . :cheers:

I worked for a garage and drove a tow truck for AAA for almost 20 years. I have never stripped or broke a lug key in all that time even using a impact gun, but I have seen many vehicles that came in with either stripped or overtightened lugs and lost or broken keys. The shop that stripped your key should have to pay for a new set of locking lugs with no questions asked.

Our shop kept our guns regulated to about 120 psi when tightening and 150 psi when removing the lugs so these sorts of problems should not happen even without using a torque stick, all our techs/general help were taught to hand tighten the lugs as far as they would go and then use a impact gun with a torque stick socket to tighten it to the recommended psi, drive the vehicle around the shopping center parking lot(across the street from the station) then bring the car back and retorque the wheels a second time. with most wheels we even suggested to the customer that they come back the next day for us to check the tightness a final time(at no extra cost) and if we put a spare on a car on the road we suggested they bring it to the station to have the lugs checked for proper tightness.

In short there is no reason the shop should have stripped the key, unless the person who did the work was A: not trained properly, B: using an overpowered lug gun, C: used the wrong size socket (using a 19mm socket instead of a 3/4" for example... this causes the socket to chatter which can cause the key to jump around instead of staying seated tight into the locking lug). In all these cases it's the shop's fault. get them to replace the locking lugs and keys( my advice, buy a new set and present them with the bill that way they can't get out of it with a cheap set)

Blaine B. said:
After all, it's his forehead and not yours, right? LOL

Back