• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Co to CA for a Rubicon Trip?

retarius

NAXJA Forum User
I'm leaving tonight from Colorado to head to Tahoe. We had plans of running the Rubicon but who knows whats going to happen with the King Fire. Our plans have changed multiple times but it sounds like we will only get one day of wheeling in so I need some suggestions. Assuming that we can't get into the Con from Tahoe/the smoke is so bad that we abort, what are some good rock alternatives in the Reno Area? I thought about Fordyce but due to our limited time, I dont think its reasonable. That leads me to thinking Moon Rocks or some other rock trail.

There will be 3 rigs on 35s and lockers. I dont care about body damage and will be trailered to the trail as well as one other rig. The 3rd rig is a LJ with a 6in lift and 35s. Has run the Rubicon, Dusy Eshm, etc multiple times but does not want body damage (its got a full belly skid, bumpers, and sliders which he doesnt mind using but likes his sheet metal to stay pretty).

Plan as of now is to wheel Tuesday so we have some time to adjust our plans. Any help would be great

moon rocks for sure. there are a ton of trails in Reno that I very much love. but not all of them are very challenging.

fordyce on the other hand, I'd describe as challenging but you can easily do it on 35's. but if the smokes not too bad I highly recommend it as it's a very beautiful trail and my personal favorite. if you're pressed for time you can drop in at Cisco and run to WH5 and back out. if you don't want body damage you can maneuver through that trail without hurting your paint but you might have to skip 1 or 2 of the bonus lines

enjoy. I'd like to be switching places with you. I want to wheel CO

Sounds like you have a pretty built group. Fordyce is challenging and close by. Run the whole trail and you will come out on Hwy 89 a few miles North of Truckee.

if your coming from co id say run fordyce... moonrocks sucks for your rigs... but reno has tons of trails if you can find them :gag:

Long drive for not much on 35s... go do fordyce... moonrocks is much better for buggy type people

you can do a whole lot on 35's and lockers out there. playing follow the leader all night out there is one of my favorite experiences. you can do almost every "main" line on 35's too. including V-crack and a couple other big ones. I'd almost rather go their for a weekend than fordyce some times

Well, we made it to my inlaws cabin on South Shore. We hit smoke all the way out in Wells and drove through that crap all the way here. Somehow the cabin is clear of smoke yet 10 minutes down at stateline its nasty. My wife is supposed to compete in the Ironman Race on sunday but if they cancle it we will get more wheeling days in. As the other guys get here we will figure out the details.

Cool My Wife Should Be Up Threre This Weekend Helping One Of Her Retailers With Hoka. Glad To Hear Your Out Of The smoke

Nice! It's quite the set up they have going out there. Way more vendors and support staff than I thought. We are getting ready to head up and drop all the gear off for the race tomorrow. Here's hoping the winds hold.

As for wheeling, one rig dropped leaving my XJ and the LJ. Since were based out of South Shore, we're thinking either Bronco Canyon or Prison Hill. Moon Rocks is still in the running but I don't know if I'll be able to convince the wife to ride 2 hours out to Moon Rocks. The LJ driver (my dad) has heard that Fordyce is nasty (though completely doable in my mind) and is leery. Since he has no idea what Bronco Canyon is, he's game. I love dragging him to trails only to see him $h*t his pants. He then wheels it and admits he had a good time. We will be staying up in North Shore tonight and depending if the smoke continues to blow west, may push Fordyce back to the top of the list

Ended up running Fordyce yesterday from Cisco Grove. It was a little smokey but not too bad. Thanks for all the advice, espicially running it from the campground. The bypass was worth the 10 bucks to park. Ill post some pictures up. Also got to meet the friendly CHP officer who informed me of CAs 55mph tow law in the form of a ticket. :twak:

The forrest service was out doing maintenance on the trail entrance and had a pretty slick JK. Did a local club build it for them or did they do it themselves?

Back