• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody have any actual facts about the new Mojave Trails Natl. Monument?

Anak

Stranger
NAXJA Member
I get worried anytime the government starts looking out for my interests.

The most information I can find is that no one seems to know the particulars of what has actually been signed.

A diverse coalition of large mining companies, off-road vehicle enthusiasts and local politicians joined conservationists in supporting Feinstein's bill, since she included provisions to protect their interests. Many of those supporters rejected the push for executive action, fearful a presidential designation would hew more closely to the desires of conservationists, perhaps banning off-roading or mining in certain areas. It was unclear Thursday night whether Obama's designations would mirror the language of Feinstein's bill.
That is from here: http://www.desertsun.com/story/news...-18-million-acres-california-desert/80235292/

Similarly useless article here: http://www.latimes.com/science/la-me-monuments-20160212-story.html

Thank you. There is actually something useful in those.

It would appear it will depend greatly on the Secretary, but there is a requirement that even if the Secretary closes some routes they must open other routes in exchange such that the total number of available miles of trails is not reduced.

SEC. 603. Management.
(a) Certain activities authorized.—The Secretary shall allow hiking, camping, hunting, trapping, fishing, and sightseeing and the use of motorized vehicles, mountain bikes, and horses on designated routes in the Management Area in a manner that—​
(1) is consistent with the purpose of the Management Area;​
(2) ensures public health and safety; and​
(3) is consistent with applicable law.​
(b) Off-Highway vehicle use.—​
(1) IN GENERAL.—Except as otherwise provided in this subsection and subject to all other applicable laws, the use of off-highway vehicles shall be permitted on routes in the Management Area generally depicted on the map.​
(2) CLOSURE.—Subject to paragraph (3), the Secretary may temporarily close or permanently reroute a portion of a route described in paragraph (1) or opened pursuant to paragraph (4)—​
(A) to prevent, or allow for restoration of, resource damage;
(B) to protect tribal cultural resources, including the resources identified in the tribal cultural resources management survey conducted under subsection (g);
(C) to address public safety concerns; or
(D) as otherwise required by law.
(3) NO NET LOSS.—Except in the case of the temporary closure of a route due to an emergency, before any routes described in paragraph (1) are closed, the Secretary should open new routes pursuant to paragraph (4) to ensure that there is no net loss in the total mileage of open routes in the Management Area available for off-highway vehicle use.​
(4) DESIGNATION OF ADDITIONAL ROUTES.—During the three-year period beginning on the date of enactment of this Act, the Secretary—​
(A) shall accept petitions from the public regarding additional routes for off-highway vehicles in the Management Area; and
(B) may designate additional routes that the Secretary determines—
(i) would provide significant or unique recreational opportunities; and
(ii) are consistent with the purposes of the Management Area.
Thank you again for finding some good information.

Keep in mind that the Cook Bill, which I linked to is considerably more friendly to the off-road community than the Feinstein bill. At the NAMRC meeting in Vegas last November a lot of the folks there spoke out against the Feinstein bill which is asking the president to use his power through the Antiqities Act of 1918 (or some such year).

I'll be in DC next month for family vacation and my daughter wants to meet some of our state politicians. I'm going to be asking them about this bill.

Back