• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

21-22lb Ford injectors in Renix?

justingj

NAXJA Forum User
1990 Wagoneer, 160k, cyl 6 injector is starting to leak. I can get a set of 8 "pink top" injectors that are supposed to be out of a '04ish 4.6 Mustang for $20, they appear to be in good shape. The only problem is that according to the Ford part # they are something like 21.7 lb injectors. My Jeep is mostly stock, high flow exhaust, restrictor removed from intake tube. Will the Renix computer be able to adjust for the extra flow? From the piles of threads I've read the 19lb injectors are ideal and the 24lb ones are too big, but I can't find any info on these "inbetweeners". I do not want to mess with my fuel pressure regulator if possible. Thanks for any ideas or input.

Your 90 waggy has a 39psi fuel rail and the injectors have ev1 connectors. Those 04 Ford injectors are probably rated 21.7#@43.5psi(=3bar, typical injector spec psi) and have ev6 connectors, so won't plug into your 90's ev1 harness unless you also buy ev6 female-ev1 male adapters. I'm using 20.7# injectors in my 88mj and I think they run a little rich. It seems that the tried and true upgrade for the renixs are the ford 19# yellow tops w/ four pintles.

I have the injectors in my possession and the size and connectors are correct, the guy I can get them from just wants the money if I actually use them. What I'm having issues with is that if I run the factory 39 psi, doesn't that actually knock the flow of the injectors down to closer to the right flow? Or are the factory Jeep injectors actually lower flowing than the 19lb yellow tops?

The renix injectors will flow 19.6#@43.5psi. You need to look up the serial numbers on those Ford injectors to find out what they are rated at. 21.7#@43.5psi is 20.5#@39psi, so they could possibly work.

The suffix on the injectors are D9B, that's the easiest way to find info on them. One website:

D9B
lbs/hr 21.0 <-- One of the lower ratings I've seen, most are 21.5-22.
cc/min 220.7
grams/min 158.8

Application:
Ford 5.0, 4.6, 5.8 V8, GM TPI 305/350, GM L98/LT1 350, Ford Truck 4.2

source: http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tableifc.htm

I'm guessing they will work fine, probably screw a new O2 sensor in it just to make sure it's reading right though?

Back