• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas Tank-13.5 or 20 gallon?

I need to get a new gas tank for my 89 Cherokee w/ 4.0L. I found two different versions available, 13.5 and 20 gallon. Both are the same physical size. Mines mashed, so no idea what I got. Are the fuel pumps the same for both? Obviously, I'd rather have the 20 gallon version. Will it fit with the gas tank skid plate I got from a 90?

isn't that like trying to stick Oprah in a Microwave oven size box, when you really need a maytag refridgerator size one ??

I am not sure about the xj tanks but i have read that the yjs used the same volume tank for both sizes they just had a longer fill tube that went farther down into the tank so the pump would shut off at the smaller amount, if you paid for the larger capacity tank then they would just remove the filler neck extension and you had a 20 gal. tank.

I am in the process of doing the same upgrade; I've read both tanks are identical in dimensions, and you can reuse fuel pump and everything. Only difference is a "baffle" in the 13.5 tank to make it smaller. Why? Ask Jeep, it's stupid if you ask me.

Regards

Got Wood said:
I am not sure about the xj tanks but i have read that the yjs used the same volume tank for both sizes they just had a longer fill tube that went farther down into the tank so the pump would shut off at the smaller amount, if you paid for the larger capacity tank then they would just remove the filler neck extension and you had a 20 gal. tank.

x2, it was a scam. You had to pony up a couple of hundred bucks to get the full capacity of the tank. all they did was cut the vent tube so the gas pump would keep filling past 13 gals. Thank God for the American Auto Industry.

schmiedel said:
I am in the process of doing the same upgrade; I've read both tanks are identical in dimensions, and you can reuse fuel pump and everything. Only difference is a "baffle" in the 13.5 tank to make it smaller. Why? Ask Jeep, it's stupid if you ask me.

Regards

Maybe they didn't want engines starving for fuel while off-roading.

Then change it to a 20, cause that would suck. What models came with the 13.5?

I had a car that would starve for fuel around sharp corners, when that happens the car just about stalls. The worse thing is every time it happens it overheats the fuel pump and shortens its life.

I talked to a friend of mine the owned a AMC Jeep dealer ship at one time.
His name is Dale Petty as he recalls both tanks hold the same total amount of fuel, about 19 gal. The 13.5 has a six gal reserve and the so-called 20 has 3 gal reserve.
So when your 13.5 is on empty you have 6 gal left and when the 20's on empty you have three left.

jmsull said:
x2, it was a scam. You had to pony up a couple of hundred bucks to get the full capacity of the tank. all they did was cut the vent tube so the gas pump would keep filling past 13 gals. Thank God for the American Auto Industry.

Well, well. That makes sense, along with this:
langer1 said:
I talked to a friend of mine the owned a AMC Jeep dealer ship at one time.
His name is Dale Petty as he recalls both tanks hold the same total amount of fuel, about 19 gal. The 13.5 has a six gal reserve and the so-called 20 has 3 gal reserve.
So when your 13.5 is on empty you have 6 gal left and when the 20's on empty you have three left.

Looks like I'll order the 20 gallon, since the price is identical. I'm planning on a new fuel pump and filter as well. Anything else down there while I'm in there?

Swapped my 88 it was origanly the 13.5 gallon tank style. I went an got one from a junk yard because i wanted more capacity, the only thing different was the small tube inside, i think it was the vent tube, it ran right next to the larger fill tube. The 13.5 had a longer extention after i turned down tward the bottom of the tank, the 20 gallon tanks tube stopped right after the bend. Everything else was the exact same on both tanks otherwise. I could never get more than 15 gallons in my old tank, yes and i ran out of gas when i did that.
The skid plate that came off the junk yard XJ (forget the exact year, not above a 92 i remember that) fit my 88 perfictly, everything lined up, i used the same pump, same electrical connections, same fill lines, only thing thats off in it the gauge, but seems you can bend that and it will work.

both tanks should work with factory skid plate especially if they are the same dimensions. GO with 20

Now don't quote me on this, but for some reason it comes to mind now that the only difference between the 2 tanks was how far down the filler tube stuck into the tank, that and a different sensor for the gas guage.

Basically the same tank, just a different length of filler tube.

Hopefully this will help.

So what was the final verdict?

can a 13.5gal tank be modified to 20gal?

is it just the vent tube?

I just found out my DD has the tiny tank and it's been a PIA with a daily 80 mile commute to work...

or do I have to pony up and find a 20gal?

Um i have ran outta gas before in my 85 and could only get 17.1 gallons in it and I filled ot up to the point where gas was spilling out of the filler tube.

Back