• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Little Red Wagon...

poorboy_616

NAXJA Forum User
Well, after a few year hiatus, I have returned. Sold the '87 2dr years ago and last year picked up a '96 4 door, bone stock. Pavement princess status.

Swapped in fresh axle joints.

Last week the lift went on. I had 4 wheel parts do this for me. I didn't trust myself to get it done right.

RE 3.5 short arm. 31x10.50 Duratrak AT's.

Immediately had a bearing failure on the t-case, so while it's out, it's getting an sye. Eliminate that issue right away.

This weekend was bumper time. Smittybilt XRC with carrier.

Borla exhaust went on as well.

Last edited:
Swapped in fresh axle joints.

I know the consensus is that u-joints without zerk fittings are stronger, but then I see things like this.

Someone explain to me the superiority of that one dry cap.

Not trying to derail the OP's thread. PM me if you like.

For the OP, looks like a nice clean start. I am kind of partial to '96s.

I think this month's ROTM is for pavement princesses. Might post up the before pics there.

Thank you. :)

In partial to joints with lube fittings, but I needed this thing is the road ASAP and the only parts store open that day (veterans day) only had sealed joints. I did pack the living hell out of the caps with grease before I put them in.

Look great. I had that lift on my 94. Loved it

I've got a Red '96 too. Great choice! I bought mine with a bunch of mods and an unknown number of miles. I guarantee you will have less trouble!

Paul

I've got a Red '96 too. Great choice! I bought mine with a bunch of mods and an unknown number of miles. I guarantee you will have less trouble!

Paul

Thank you.

It'll be ready for pickup tomorrow. Shift fork issues and bearing failure in the t case. Sigh... Just. Empty. Every. Pocket

300 mile run today to pick up the kids in Tukwila.

The Pinion bearing in the rear end is not afraid to tell me it's very unhappy.

So far so good on the lift install. Nearly time to re-torque everything and lube the crap out of it since the front end is squeaking.

Bump for update!

Update? Long overdue!!!

Sorry about the delay. Life got the best of me.

Among other small projects (At the end of this post), I finally got around to seeing what was up with the rear end. I lost all rear braking and thus, a brake job is required. What I discovered wasn't pretty.

The Passenger side rear brake had a frozen wheel cylinder and adjuster screw. It went from Meh.... to Noisy and grabby.

The Driver side is where the carnage happened. Cooked linings, Wheel cylinder leaks, axle seal leaks and overall wear. In the process, I found the driver side shaft bearing was completely thrashed.

The bearing on both sides were on rough shape. 240K will do that.

Driver side pictured here as it is the worst for color and wear. :eek: Feels like a pepper grinder, plus 3/4 of a couple of rollers were hanging out of the cage.

As for the small project....

The speaker grilles in the Red Wagon were beyond hammered. Broken louvers, cracked surround. I few minutes with a file, a chunk of punched aluminum and some epoxy fixed that issue.

Finished Driver side.

Nevermind the hinge..... They need to be re-welded soon.

Finished Passenger side
http://www.naxja.org//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Hmmmm.... I need to update this thread!!!

Had some fun with the cut off wheels and the sawzall.... and this happened:

I think I might have just crossed the barrier from little leagues, to big leagues.... :O

Back