• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need a massive favor.. Listen to my story.

DigJeepsBrah

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I just got back home from a failed Slaughterhouse Gulch trail run...

I left around 1:30 from Littleton.

Wheeled Slaughterhouse to the back side of Crow Hill and got stuck. Couldn't get back up either side.

The sun was going down fast, the wind was picking up, the temperature was dropping rapidly.

We (my buddy Greg and I) decided to leave the Jeep around 4:15.

We walked for over 4 hours out to Colorado Road 43A, we were passed by two police officers, and probably 40 other passenger vehicles. We tried to wave down the first 10 or 12 cars. No one showed any interest in stopping.

The temperature was now 1 degree with constant 25-35 MPH wind with gusts up to 70 MPH... We walked down 43A for almost three miles before an officer finally stopped to ask what we were up to. Got a ride back to the Loaf n' Jug (the remaining 2-3 miles of 43A to 285) where we waited for my extremely worried wife to pick us up.

Now my issue is I have a Jeep on the back side of the Gulch. I plan to purchase some tire chains tomorrow, but I will need some assistance and/or support to get me back out there and out.

I don't know what someone would want for compensation (cover all your gas money, buy you lunch at the restaurant I work at.. Brooks Place Tavern in Conifer) but as you all can imagine, I really need help. - Lesson learned -

...The hard way.

-Dustin @ 303-910-1020

Thanks in advance.

might wanna post on co4x4 as there are a larger number of folks in that area on the other board.

Cross posted to Front Range 4x4...

Not to rub it in too hard but that's why I never wheel alone. There has to be at least 1 other vehicle with me.

Sorry about your situation. If you can't get anybody to help you during the day I might be able to get down there tonight. I don't get off work until 5 though so it would be a late one.

might wanna post on co4x4 as there are a larger number of folks in that area on the other board.

I haven't been able to create an account over there yet, cause it's paid only. However I think I'm now overdue for a subscription.

Cross posted to Front Range 4x4...

Thank you, this did it. A gentleman named Rick is going to hook me up - literally.

Not to rub it in too hard but that's why I never wheel alone. There has to be at least 1 other vehicle with me.

Sorry about your situation. If you can't get anybody to help you during the day I might be able to get down there tonight. I don't get off work until 5 though so it would be a late one.

It's all good. Live and learn. We were able to walk out, albeit a frigid cold, long walk. I had enough extra gear in my rig for Greg and me. I was wearing a towel wrapped around my waist tied on with some nylon rope. Maybe that's why no one stopped? I looked like a damned gypsy. Thanks though, Dutch.

Mother nature just called my bluff is all. I'm always talking that I'm always ready to leave the rig and walk out. This time I had to. You win some, you lose some. At least everyone was okay, and I didn't roll the Jeep or something.

Say what? I'm on that forum and have never paid for a subscription.

Yeah, if you have a free e-mail service such as MSN, Yahoo, Gmail, etc.. They make you pay for a subscription. I do not know when it was implemented though.

It's to keep the spammers and the trolls off it. I'm definitely not against that.

I'm out!

It took most of the day. However my Jeep and I are home safe.

Hypoid. Please call me sometime. 303-910-1020 I need to treat you to a couple of beers and lunch or something. You were my saving grace. I'll be getting red letters here, a subscription over at front range, and CO4x4.

I'm a believer in tire chains now, and will never... ...ever... Run a snowy trail without them again. Worth every cent of the $140/pr.

Sucks your situation was so desperate, there is a guy at FR4x4 selling brand new big rig chains for 50$ a pair.

Glad you got the Jeep out. How'd you like Rick's V10 monster?

Oh, and if you didn't get pictures then you need to go get your jeep stuck again. :D

Sucks your situation was so desperate, there is a guy at FR4x4 selling brand new big rig chains for 50$ a pair.

Glad you got the Jeep out. How'd you like Rick's V10 monster?

Oh, and if you didn't get pictures then you need to go get your jeep stuck again. :D

Rick's rig is definitely intense. I got no pictures(believe me, I wanted to. I just didn't feel like I had the time and I had gloves on), the wind was absolutely insane the entire day. I just wanted me and the Jeep home. Rick actually didn't even have to hook up to me. It was just a process of digging with a janky ass little plastic snow shovel, backing up, making a bit of progress, sometimes 3 feet, sometimes 50.. The wind had created 3 foot or better drifts and the top 5 inches was solid as ice almost. Rick wouldn't even drive his truck down the hill from the cattle guard, he would have been stuck too. It was an intense day. I think it took something like 4 hours and over a quarter tank of gas to get it up a quarter of a mile. Two sets of chains would have really made the difference, I only had the front chained up. Good thing I made the decision to take the plunge on a pair of high dollar chains.. We would both be stuck down there if it weren't for those things.

Rick is damn good people though. He's a real stand up dude.

I was almost over a head cold Monday too. Now my throat is so effed up that I can barely speak. The last two days have been quite the adventure.

I'm usually out until saturday , but should this happen again I live about 5 minutes from that trailhead , and have no issues pulling someone out or towing a busted Jeep back to Denver ...just putting that out there .

Huh.. I use Google mail services, but I have my own domain name that I use. That explains it.

Just my luck! I try using my work email, the server can't process the image thingy. :rolleyes:

Back