• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stroker long block 4.6

IslanderXJ

NAXJA Forum User
4.6 stroker long block
with head and valve train
needs a piston, bad timing burned a hole in one
~10:1 compression ratio as is
don't know much about it, previous owners buddy burned his whole rig to the ground while he had the motor out, gave it to him, who sold it to me.
Appears to be in good shape, minus the piston of course.

located in San Luis Obispo, CA
pick up or local delivery between five cities and paso.

make me an offer, I'm thinking a $1000, which is probably high, but cash talks
I will post pics in the next couple of hours

I'd almost consider this if I had cash...then install it in my 89 F150...;)

Has it been disassembled for inspection? Are you positive the only damage is to the piston? No valvetrain damage?

I am local, can deliver South for a fee. Can also probably check it out/take pics
I would consider this for myself, but low on funds and really want a gm lsx motor in my heep.

Has it been disassembled for inspection? Are you positive the only damage is to the piston? No valvetrain damage?

Oil pan has be removed and internals looked at.
Head has been removed, everything is A ok.
All the little piston bits appeared to be accounted for.

Can you post up pics, especially of the cylinder bore of the bad piston.

Would also be a good idea to magnaflux the head if you haven't already.

I would be happy to do this free of charge to help buyer/seller.

GLWS

Bunch of really helpful dudes in this chapter.
Ill go snap some pics and grab some casting numbers.

Sorry jeeperjohn, I run a metal fab and equipment maintainance shop.
I really don't need any work done, but...
I do need an Xj front double cardan drive shaft from a 4.0L auto, find me one in good shape and I could bring the price down.

Bunch of really helpful dudes in this chapter.
Ill go snap some pics and grab some casting numbers.

Sorry jeeperjohn, I run a metal fab and equipment maintainance shop.
I really don't need any work done, but...
I do need an Xj front double cardan drive shaft from a 4.0L auto, find me one in good shape and I could bring the price down.
Hmmmm, there has to be an unguarded bank around here somewhere :eyes:

Looks like the cylinders wouldn't mind a fresh honing.

I couldn't find any casting numbers on the rods, also the guy I bought it from says something about it might have been a new stroker crank, not a 4.2 take out.

IMG_20130309_115314.jpg

IMG_20130309_115322.jpg

IMG_20130309_115347.jpg

IMG_20130309_115351.jpg

IMG_20130309_115357.jpg

IMG_20130309_121147.jpg

IMG_20130309_121248.jpg

IMG_20130309_121325.jpg

IMG_20130309_121335.jpg

Did it loose a head gasket? Looks like water in the block.
It rained the past 5 days, it was only covered by a tarp. There are also some leaves, but that's for my extra special scented coolant.
I went over there today and flipped it over and rinsed it out with WD40, should be fine for the time being. The head was under shelter.

Last edited:
from what i see in the pics, you may have more than just a burnt piston. that cam looks like the timing teeth are gone. the timing chain looks like it is stretched quite a bit. and that bore doesnt look great. it may be salvageable with a hone, but i would run a mic on it and see where it's at. and it's roundness. how did the oil look when you drained it? the small puddles look like you may have "milk shaked" it meaning water in the oil. if so then you need to check the crank bearings and journals. i know it is not good news, and nobody likes to see an investment go south like that. but i have seen $35K engines blow on a dyno during it's tune and never even get used. sure it was a nice stroker motor at one time, but it looks like you may have a stroker crank for sale only, and that is if it passes inspection. sorry for the negative vibes. i just think you need to check all its components before you put it up for sale. that way you can list it properly.

IMG_20130310_112004.jpg

IMG_20130310_111831.jpg

IMG_20130310_112750.jpg

Its been blowed up, pretty sure it just got rained in, hence the leaves.

The head it good, pulled the rod and piston from the burnt hole. Rod journal is still good.

Ill get some pics of the burnt piston after it comes out of the parts washer.

The block it probably core-ish, head is good, crank is good, rods are probably good, 5/6 pistons are good.

Back