• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiper arm won't go down all the way when turned off

hawk_sixsix

NAXJA Forum User
I changed the wiper blades, and I don't remember manhandling the wiper arms at all but now when the wipers are off (as in, "not in use") - the passenger wiper is up at an angle, maybe an inch high.

How do I fix this?

too much friction from the new blades. mine does the same thing. when the windshield is wet the blades can "slide" better so they can return to the proper position. my guess is the wiper transmission is not rigid enough to keep everything where it should be.

zedpapa

I changed the wiper blades, and I don't remember manhandling the wiper arms at all but now when the wipers are off (as in, "not in use") - the passenger wiper is up at an angle, maybe an inch high.

How do I fix this?

This might seem funny but the same thing happened when I put new blades on. On mine the new balades are making better contact and the friction is keeping it from going all the way down. I know this because when the windshield is wet it does go all the way down. It boiled down on my Jeep to be a weak motor due to age.
Check it with the windshield wet to see if it was like mine.

EDIT: I swear post number two was not there a minute ago...LOL

Well, the new blades - Mopar OEM - seem to glide quietly and effortlessly across the windshield. And I can't push the offending wiper arm down any further (within reason).

My easy fix for this is to simply use the washer fluid for the last few wipes when I drive out of the rain. Turn the wipers off, then push the end of the stalk in to wash the windshield and they should settle. Then go to a junkyard or auto parts store and pick up a new set of bushings and stuff for the levers/arms that run the wipers as well as a can of brake cleaner and a can of spray on silicone lube... clean all the pivot points with the brake cleaner, pop all the bushings out, replace with new, and replace or straighten any bent/worn parts.

This is on my 06 TJ, not my 97 XJ. (I confess!!!) Point being, all bushings, etc. are new and operational. Wiper arms and motor worked 100% but the cheapo wiper blades were leaving streaks on the glass. But even still - the wipers seated properly when the wipers were turned off. Now here I come and flip the arms away from the glass, change the blades, flip em back down, and then turn the wipers on to check the range of motion before applying a reggie decal to the corner of my windshield and . . . passenger wiper is pointing east-northeast. WTF? The blade is fully contacting the glass but the arm is rotated up slightly, so it looks like I turned the wipers off mid sweep. And driving in the rain - the passenger arm never fully lowers to the off position.

If history is any indication, unless I hear otherwise, tomorrow I'm going to give it the Homer "I'll bash you GOOD!" and try to pull one arm while pushing the other to get them in synch, my ASE's be damned.

At least I'm honest.

TJ huh? Good thing, I thought this might have been you.
jorie-licenseplate.jpg

WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME THIS COULD BE DONE IN 8 SECONDS WITHOUT TOOLS!? :roflmao:

Still doesn't explain how it mysteriously changed it's clock position but who cares!

Back