NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > SoCal Chapter
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

SoCal Chapter The SoCal Chapter covers Southern California and Arizona. Please post local topics here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old September 8th, 2017, 09:15
victorfranko's Avatar
victorfranko victorfranko is offline
Proud papa of a black Lab
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Ventura County, California
Posts: 37
Frame stiffeners ~ Can anyone recommend a shop?

Happy Friday!

I've come to the conclusion from reading here and other forums that I really should add frame stiffeners to my project XJ.
I'm a machinist, not a fabricator/welder.

Is there a shop any of you have used, in the North Los Angeles area (I'm actually in Ventura County) to weld these stiffeners up?

Am I best to fit everything and call in a mobile welder?
I'm not excited about the stiffeners being fit by me with no experience and welded up by a guy that never did anything like this before.

Am I over-thinking this and making the job seem more involved than it is?

Any advice from the vast wealth of experience here on would be greatly appreciated!

VF
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old September 8th, 2017, 15:53
JohnX's Avatar
JohnX JohnX is offline
Sarge <3 Ben
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Rancho Cucamonga CA
Posts: 8,681
Re: Frame stiffeners ~ Can anyone recommend a shop?

In my opinion, you might be over thinking it a bit.

As you can see at the thread below "calico night run" last page of thread...any idiot can do it...I mean tim figured it out, so how hard can it be?

Seriously though, the easiest course of action is to order the stiffeners from someplace like ruffstuff, follow the steps people have done on here, and beg/borrow/steal a welder (and someone who can run a bead). I would offer my abilities, but it's a hundred mile drive.

Hopefully someone closer will pop up and volunteer.
__________________
88 MJ on 40's. 98 XJ on 35's. 98 Dodge, 52psi of boost. 94 Miata LS4. 70 Buick GS455. 01 Harley, been to 46 states. 05 KTM, 576cc. 06 Husky, girls need bikes too. 2011 R6, girls need sport bikes too. 99 Toyota Avalon, daily. 97 Miata, girls apparently need miatas too.
And everything fits in the garage!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mako my day View Post
Johnx is #1
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old September 8th, 2017, 16:41
rockclimber's Avatar
rockclimber rockclimber is offline
Associate
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,053
Re: Frame stiffeners ~ Can anyone recommend a shop?

Leadfoot Offroad.
__________________
[cal]You're an idiot rockclimber.
[StinkyFab]RockClimber is a tool.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old September 8th, 2017, 17:02
victorfranko's Avatar
victorfranko victorfranko is offline
Proud papa of a black Lab
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Ventura County, California
Posts: 37
Re: Frame stiffeners ~ Can anyone recommend a shop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnX View Post
In my opinion, you might be over thinking it a bit.

As you can see at the thread below "calico night run" last page of thread...any idiot can do it...I mean tim figured it out, so how hard can it be?

Seriously though, the easiest course of action is to order the stiffeners from someplace like ruffstuff, follow the steps people have done on here, and beg/borrow/steal a welder (and someone who can run a bead). I would offer my abilities, but it's a hundred mile drive.

Hopefully someone closer will pop up and volunteer.
Yeah, I know I'm worrying more than I need. It's just that I don't weld.
I live in horse country, and I found a horse trailer repair guy/welder just now, going to see him tomorrow morning and see if it's something he wants to do.

Thanks for replying and for offering to help (if you lived closer), very much appreciated!!!

Oh, and I guess if Tim can do it, I can figure it out, lol.

VF

Last edited by victorfranko; September 8th, 2017 at 17:12.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old September 8th, 2017, 17:08
victorfranko's Avatar
victorfranko victorfranko is offline
Proud papa of a black Lab
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Ventura County, California
Posts: 37
Re: Frame stiffeners ~ Can anyone recommend a shop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockclimber View Post
Leadfoot Offroad.
Thanks, looks like a good resource!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old September 8th, 2017, 17:48
JohnX's Avatar
JohnX JohnX is offline
Sarge <3 Ben
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Rancho Cucamonga CA
Posts: 8,681
Re: Frame stiffeners ~ Can anyone recommend a shop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockclimber View Post
Leadfoot Offroad.
Leadfoot is a sponsor here, and donates generously to our socal fest raffles...if that's close enough for you, they can do it start to finish and it'll be right.
__________________
88 MJ on 40's. 98 XJ on 35's. 98 Dodge, 52psi of boost. 94 Miata LS4. 70 Buick GS455. 01 Harley, been to 46 states. 05 KTM, 576cc. 06 Husky, girls need bikes too. 2011 R6, girls need sport bikes too. 99 Toyota Avalon, daily. 97 Miata, girls apparently need miatas too.
And everything fits in the garage!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mako my day View Post
Johnx is #1
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old September 8th, 2017, 19:00
peterjford peterjford is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Yorba Linda CA
Posts: 492
Re: Frame stiffeners ~ Can anyone recommend a shop?

My XJ is at Leadfoot Off-road right now getting a cage and frame stiffeners installed. Once it's done I can post pictures or let you check it out in person. They are in La Verne which would be quite a drive for you, but it might be a good option.
__________________
Peter J. Ford
Purple Is The New Chrome
KK6QQV
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old September 8th, 2017, 19:52
victorfranko's Avatar
victorfranko victorfranko is offline
Proud papa of a black Lab
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Ventura County, California
Posts: 37
Re: Frame stiffeners ~ Can anyone recommend a shop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjford View Post
My XJ is at Leadfoot Off-road right now getting a cage and frame stiffeners installed. Once it's done I can post pictures or let you check it out in person. They are in La Verne which would be quite a drive for you, but it might be a good option.
Thanks Peter.
I'll call them Monday to check out prices and time they'd need my XJ.
What brand stiffeners are they installing?
Are they installing mid and front?
Pics would be most welcome when you get it back!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old September 11th, 2017, 07:52
peterjford peterjford is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Yorba Linda CA
Posts: 492
Re: Frame stiffeners ~ Can anyone recommend a shop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorfranko View Post
Thanks Peter.
I'll call them Monday to check out prices and time they'd need my XJ.
What brand stiffeners are they installing?
Are they installing mid and front?
Pics would be most welcome when you get it back!
They make their own stiffners and I am having mid and front installed. Mine is sort of a custom install since I have drop bracket braces and already had some reinforcement at the very front of the frame for the bumper. They are also tying together the roll cage mounts to the frame and the rock rail mounts to the frame stiffners.
__________________
Peter J. Ford
Purple Is The New Chrome
KK6QQV
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old September 11th, 2017, 21:19
David_Bricker's Avatar
David_Bricker David_Bricker is offline
PSR Fire Marshall
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Upstate NY-live; Death Valley-play
Posts: 3,496
Re: Frame stiffeners ~ Can anyone recommend a shop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjford View Post
They make their own stiffners and I am having mid and front installed. Mine is sort of a custom install since I have drop bracket braces and already had some reinforcement at the very front of the frame for the bumper. They are also tying together the roll cage mounts to the frame and the rock rail mounts to the frame stiffners.
Leadfoot did my hybrid cage and sliders. Clean job. You will be happy with their product. A bit pricey, but they'll do exactly what you need and want.

David Bricker / SYR
__________________
Gomer - '95 XJ, 2 dr. 4.6L Russ Pottenger Stroker; Novak TJ AX-15; Black Box 2.72:1 + 241OR 4:1; RockJock 60 Front, hydro assist, Hi-steer; D60 trussed and shaved rear; 4.56 ARB Front and Rear; Black Magic discs, Bilstein 7100s front and rear; 35s; PRP seats; Warn PowerPlant winch. Annd, the Faux Dorkle is gone.
National Treasurer 2013-2019
Not a member? Become one today, and help support YOUR club.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old September 11th, 2017, 21:29
SByota SByota is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Ventura, CA
Posts: 48
Re: Frame stiffeners ~ Can anyone recommend a shop?

I'm in Ventura and have Ruffstuff stiffeners on my 97. It's a work in progress, but your welcome to come take a look at it and see what your up against in person.

Honestly it's not that hard, just labor intensive. The hardest part is getting the factory under coating/paint/primer/galvanizing off. After that, they fit up pretty good.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old September 13th, 2017, 16:18
victorfranko's Avatar
victorfranko victorfranko is offline
Proud papa of a black Lab
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Ventura County, California
Posts: 37
Re: Frame stiffeners ~ Can anyone recommend a shop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SByota View Post
I'm in Ventura and have Ruffstuff stiffeners on my 97. It's a work in progress, but your welcome to come take a look at it and see what your up against in person.

Honestly it's not that hard, just labor intensive. The hardest part is getting the factory under coating/paint/primer/galvanizing off. After that, they fit up pretty good.
Thank you, I've watched videos and looked at a thousand pictures so I've got a good idea what is going on, it's just the welding that makes me leery.
I'd prefer someone to weld them up for me that has done it before.
I talked to the guys at Leadfoot (nice guy I talked to, pricing wasn't bad) but if I can find someone local that has some experience with this sort of thing, I'll probably stay local.

The Ruffstuff stiffeners look good, if I think I need to see them for myself, I'll PM you.

Thanks much for your offer!!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Today, 13:09
Ranger Rick's Avatar
Ranger Rick Ranger Rick is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: S-lomita Cal
Posts: 32
Re: Frame stiffeners ~ Can anyone recommend a shop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorfranko View Post

The Ruffstuff stiffeners look good, if I think I need to see them for myself, I'll PM you.

Thanks much for your offer!!
I have a set of RuffStuff stiffeners never used if you are interested let me know. Price will be better than their sale price, they are still wrapped in the shipping wrapper.

Rick
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recommend Shop in OC for re-gear? Motod6 SoCal Chapter 1 June 6th, 2016 23:44
Suggestions on a shop to weld frame stiffeners? iwannadie Arizona Chapter 3 November 16th, 2015 13:37
Can anyone recommend a shop in San Antonio? Chuck_SA OEM Tech Discussion 0 March 15th, 2006 06:08
Can someone recommend a good shop? footdale Colorado Chapter 6 July 12th, 2004 14:48
Recommend a Local Shop reson46 OEM Tech Discussion 4 June 5th, 2003 07:23


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
NAXJA and NAXJA logo's Copyright NAXJA. All content/images Copyright NAXJA 1999-2014