• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 shift behavior

houlster

NAXJA Forum User
I've been running and AW4 for a little over a year now and need to update my shifting for offroad use. Right now, I'm using a Volvo S60 Geartronic shifter. Basically, I can only shift as far as 'D', then the lever slides over and you can bump it fore and aft to up/down shift.

That part is not hooked up yet and I've been using a rotary switch similar to what Brett's been selling.
120_2065.jpg

My biggest problem is the lack of compression braking on downhills. I can only get it if I put the both the Klune and D300 in low and keep the tranny in 3rd, and that's still a bit high.

How is compression braking when the shifter is actually in '3' and '2/1'? Does it brake in all gears in those positions?

2nd question for someone that has BrettM's rotary shifter. The shift table for the AW4 only shows what happens when the tranny (solenoids) is in 1st and 2nd when the selector is in '2/1'. Now this could be because the valve body won't allow it to shift to 3rd or 4th, or it could be because the TCM won't allow it.

Can someone with the rotary shifter tell me, if you put it in '2/1' and use the rotary shifter to select 3rd or 4th gear, does it actually shift? Or does the valve body not allow it?

I'm planning on re-doing my shifter mechanism and trying to figure out all the tranny behavior's for deciding what to do.

thanks
--Dan

I've always had plenty of compression braking. I leave it in the 1-2 position and while going real slow on trails it holds it in 1st. I have 4 to 1 t-case gears, but so do you, and even more, with the Klune.

I also use the stock shifter, don't see a reason to do it any other way. What did you gain by using a Volvo shifter? :huh:

houlster said:
How is compression braking when the shifter is actually in '3' and '2/1'? Does it brake in all gears in those positions?

The compression braking changes with the position of the floor shifter. It has been my experience that you get the most compression braking in 1st gear with it in "1/2", the most in 2nd gear with it in "3" and the most in 3rd gear with it in "D".

houlster said:
2nd question for someone that has BrettM's rotary shifter. The shift table for the AW4 only shows what happens when the tranny (solenoids) is in 1st and 2nd when the selector is in '2/1'. Now this could be because the valve body won't allow it to shift to 3rd or 4th, or it could be because the TCM won't allow it.

Can someone with the rotary shifter tell me, if you put it in '2/1' and use the rotary shifter to select 3rd or 4th gear, does it actually shift? Or does the valve body not allow it?

The tranmission, not the TCM, will not allow it to shift beyond what is selected with the floor shifter.

Goatman said:
I also use the stock shifter, don't see a reason to do it any other way. What did you gain by using a Volvo shifter? :huh:

I don't have a stock shifter. I used the Geartronic for manual shifting. The plan was to use the bump-shift portion of it for shifting, but the lack of compression braking is giving me second thoughts.

Okie Terry said:
What vehicle is it in?

Isuzu Amigo.

--Dan

BrettM said:
It has been my experience that you get the most compression braking in 1st gear with it in "1/2", the most in 2nd gear with it in "3" and the most in 3rd gear with it in "D".

The tranmission, not the TCM, will not allow it to shift beyond what is selected with the floor shifter.

Thanks. I have compression in 3rd & 4th only when in 'D'. I thought I had read that '3' will give you compression braking in 2nd gear, and '2/1' braking down to 1st.

I'm thinking of switching to an Art Carr gated shifter. I about lost it on Double Whammy a couple weeks ago. I want to be able to hit 'R' quick and easy. Has anyone tried one of these with an AW4? They don't make a kit specifically for it, but was wondering if one of the others in particular was easier to hook up?

--Dan

Back