• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 Swap... What years work?

ratherbcamping

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, I've been reading everything I can find, but I'm still can't find the answer I'm looking for. Maybe one of you can help?

I have an 89 XJ, 4.0 and I need to replace the engine due to a crack in the block. I think the head is okay, but I haven't check anything yet. I want to stay stock if possible, but if I find a 91-95 or a 96+ engine, will it work with the stock manifolds? If not, will it work if I swap the head (after having it checked and reworked).

Like I said, stock would be best, but finding an engine that old in good condition will be tough. What would you do?

Thanks for any input.

Tom

ratherbcamping said:
Okay, I've been reading everything I can find, but I'm still can't find the answer I'm looking for. Maybe one of you can help?

I have an 89 XJ, 4.0 and I need to replace the engine due to a crack in the block. I think the head is okay, but I haven't check anything yet. I want to stay stock if possible, but if I find a 91-95 or a 96+ engine, will it work with the stock manifolds? If not, will it work if I swap the head (after having it checked and reworked).

Like I said, stock would be best, but finding an engine that old in good condition will be tough. What would you do?

Thanks for any input.

Tom

Unless you want to go through a bunch of work, you need to stick to an '89-90 engine. The head, manifolds, and engine control system changed in '91. An '87-88 will work, but they are less horsepower than your '89.

ratherbcamping said:

Thanks for any input.

Tom

You can get a 4.0 short block of any vintage and just swap your existing head and other pieces onto it. If your XJ's an automatic, the swap's a breeze. If it's a manual, you'll need to either enlarge the inner pilot bearing hole in the '92+ crank by 0.04" to use the 33004041 pilot bearing, or get pilot bushing 716120 from Advance Adapters

Dr. Dyno said:
You can get a 4.0 short block of any vintage and just swap your existing head and other pieces onto it. If your XJ's an automatic, the swap's a breeze. If it's a manual, you'll need to either enlarge the inner pilot bearing hole in the '92+ crank by 0.04" to use the 33004041 pilot bearing, or get pilot bushing 716120 from Advance Adapters

Thank you Dr. Dyno. That was the answer I was looking for. There were a lot of threads on this subject, but most were wanting to keep the newer fuel system, upgrade computers, etc. I'm not looking for more power, just building a toy for the beach and the hunting ranch. Simple is better for me.

My son has a 95 YJ and we have spent a lot of time working on it the last few years. I really enjoy the it... so I got my own toy. Oh, it is a standard, so thanks for the tip on the pilot bearing.

Tom

Back