• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FSJ AW4 Swap

TRCobra506

NAXJA Forum User
Joined naxja because of my aw4 transmission swap, looking for a few extra parts for the project plus I have a donor Cherokee to dismantle. I come from a family with a long history of running XJs, my mom used to run them on her rural postal route in RHD. Many miles were put on them trouble free. Since I had this low mile donor and was hunting overdrive lockup the swap was an obvious choice.
Here’s a copy of my thread from international full size jeep forums.

I’m starting to swap a aw4 from a 99 Cherokee into my 90 GW.
Contrary to popular belief the 97+ cherokee still has a stand-alone transmission control module.
I plan on using the np231 I have or a np242. The np229 looks like it might have overall length issues when used with the aw4. I’ll swap the speed sensor for the cable drive from my 229.
I will be using a Holley 2bbl with the Holley tps kit. I initially started fabbing up brackets to my motorcraft but my dad gifted me the Holley from another project. I’m not looking for more power so the 2bbl was a good reliable option.
Here’s where I’m at so far. I have the Tcm and wiring peeled out of my donor cherokee. There’s roughly 12 leads to the tcm. Brake light reverse light 12v constant 12v switched grounds. Some obdii connections. And two leads for the tps. I bought a 12v to 5v powersource for the reference signal on the tps. This used to supplied by the ecm.

c1d76e22ff6f2f2abab1ed8b1ac763e1.jpg

3c5e718e380a52a43dc33a114d1d3fa7.jpg

5ee00892fafc1d845c2de994ebcd6aa5.jpg

e4a14915911a3e66fe93b64c33951780.jpg

thing looks insanely clean. Wish my wagon was that clean.

Bump . We have a guy on my FSJ page doing the same swap. I am super interested in this since I have a waggy in the backyard and I always come across cheap XJ transmissions.

Back